1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mouse ScrollWheel died again. Any Recommendations for a Reliable Mouse?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bjorn_Of_Iceland, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    My mouse' scrollwheel is acting up. It is a Corsair M60. Any recommendations for a mouse that has a reliable scrollwheel? No Razers please.

I'd prefer answers from users who had theirs still working even after 2 years.

Thanks.

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    MX518 is a freakin' workhorse but good luck finding one. :(

Mine first one lasted about six years with daily, heavy use (the Logitech logo on the spine was completely gone). I was able to buy a new one on Amazon to replace it and I'm really glad I did.

FYI, a malfunctioning scroll wheel can be the result of something as simple as a hair in the way of the optics of the wheel. Remove the hair and it will work the way it should again. If you disassemble it, just make sure to see how the wheel is held in place and don't lose any of the springs.

Chevalr1c and Bjorn_Of_Iceland say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok.. thanks for the tip.. will open it up and check it out.

4. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    any logitech mouse ... hum M60 : G500/500S
    the
    only other mouse with a side button for lowering dps for a moment is the R.A.T. (5/7/9 iirc) serie from Madcatz (pretty much like corsair with alu frame but with a more "elaborated shape")

and glad you said "No Razer please."... :D

Bjorn_Of_Iceland says thanks.
  5. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft Sidewinder X5 and X8 (to an extent the X8 anyway). The X5 I have since 2010, I've dropped it many times, it's been to several countries/continents and I've used it everyday for the first year and a half of ownership and intermittent use since and it still works amazingly. Same story for the X8 however the charging cable has stopped charging the mouse reliably so I have to use recharge the battery from an AC outlet bay thingy which isn't much of a hassle.

Otherwise a G500 as said previously is great too. A friend of mine has one and abuses the crap out of it and it works fine after about 2 years of ownership.

I used to have an M60 too and I found the two mouse buttons went squidgy/soft after about a year.

6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The MX518 is now the Logitech G400. Excellent mouse. Does not disappoint. A workhorse. The G500 is the Laser version

[​IMG]

7. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i love that chart... even if i would put any Steelserie and Razer in the "stupid tier" and even under ... and the new wireless "god tier" is the G602 for me :D i have one for now near 1month and still 3/5 battery bar (logic since i use it in endurance mode in most of the games i play... except for Firfall and other fps where i use the perf mode)

8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    g400
    throw it off a clif n still works

9. Zakin

Thanks Received:
    Been sort of curious of the newer Logitech, older ones had the same cheap chinese triggers as basically every single other brand and broke down to double clicks. Even though I consistently heard good things about them, that was my experience. Find it cute the Mamba being put so low though, likely the most solid thing I've ever felt, now with a friend been going 3+ years strong. Was contemplating trying one of Corsair's mice next, but I guess they use the exact same cheap triggers as every other company as well. Not worth it seems.

Unfortunately both of the top two Logitechs on that chart ergonomically aren't the best for myself either. Sad day that all of these companies keep pumping out mice with false click durability Not too sure why Steelseries scores so high there either by the way. Those are easily the cheapest mouse I've ever personally felt. Although like others said, Logitech is probably your best bet for reliability.

10. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    how come ... o_O (not the fact that it still works...)

of all the mouse i owned the logitechs where the one that never failed me (i just resold them when i felt the need to change mouse) as i said in the Zowie news:

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had this Steelseries RAW for about 2 years, no issues... Just don't bother with any of their software, I'd almost call it a virus other than software. I just wish Logitech would make a similar shaped mouse.

12. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    didn't they used that shape in the past

also ahah i have found my still kicking ps2 logi.
    IMG_20140112_101005.jpg IMG_20140112_101018.jpg
    almost the same shape as the Steelserie RAW (you forgot to add Sensei...) the RAW is the cheaper version right? if so it might be in the decent segment, since the only problem with the Sensei is the price :D

13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    here is what i think of the g400
    good shape. nice buttons, smooth ride, works on polished surfaces, and the software is epic.

14. vexen

vexen

Thanks Received:
    I confirm for the IE3.0 in the god tier... had a countless amount of mice from different brand (Razer, Logi, SS), and it puts them all to shame. Good luck finding one tho....

I also vote for the 518, most likely the G400 as well

On a side note, has anyone tried the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 in gaming? I have it at work... the sensor is amazing. It's supposed to be the new IE3.0 from what I've found.

15. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    the mx518 IS the g400. g400 better sensor.

16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Wow that's a part a never had a issue with always double click BS. Anyways though all the mice i have gone though and if your right handed go logitech at least you'll get a 3 year warranty :p.

17. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    My M60's scroll wheel totally broke after 3-4 months of use, but the replacement M65 is doing fine. I also have a Logitech G500 which I use on my laptop. I guarantee to you that the precision of the laser of the M60/M65 is highly superior.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. You can build houses with it.

19. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to add that I recently found a replacement for my X8 - Mionix NAOS 3200. I got the cheap-ass version as I don't care about high DPI stuff, also it has a very similar shape to my sidewinder so my ring and pinky finger are supported nicely. It isn't anything special but it is very comfortable and appears to be built nicely. For the price I got it for, I'm happy.

20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I just got a G602 to replace my aging G500 and it works really well. It's the first wireless mouse that I've used that doesn't feel like a wireless mouse. This was important because the wire on the G500 was driving me nuts because of the angle that it was at while I was using it. I feel like I can say that the G602 was a decent upgrade/side-grade from the G500 IMHO.

21. minx

minx

Thanks Received:
    I've been using the MadCatz MMO7 for two years now. Everything still works fine (i love the design, color and customization options ;-) )

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  22. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    and they are in the "stupid tier" of the chart ... :D nice choice ahahaha.

im joking i had a R.A.T. 7 if they find the look stupid: the rest of the mouse is pure win, you can adapt the mouse to your hand and not the opposite and you have sturdy chassis and wheel (scroll and side thumbwheel)

you have to take a mouse adapted to your hand but in most of the case you can't adapt the mouse to your hand except with the R.A.T. and M.M.O. serie and their overpriced mockup nammed Ouroboros from a well known hipster brand.

23. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    the original G500 for me. Im on my second one as the first one accidently took a swim in hot tea, but i had it definitely close to 3years.

Mouse still works but the scroll wheel is gone.

24. minx

minx

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. I was looking for a mouse with a lot of reachable HotKeys and manual adapting. I usually work alot with Blender K3D and proprietary CAD Tools and every button on mouse is mapped to some function (yes, all three modes :D ). It was imho the only mouse to make the keyboard (and touchpad) almost completely obsolete during a design process.

25. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    G602/G600/G700/G700S (if we put a light warning on the 2 700 for "crap battery duration") the are not adaptable but they can do fine in those soft. for me the G602 is godlike (battery duration comfort and such)

the G600 with the Gshift + the 13th Gbutton give 3 mode + 2 shift per mode so double the mode of the M.M.O. :D