1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mouses and Mouse interfaces

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by monohouse, Oct 30, 2007.

1. monohouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    -

-
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I prefure PS/2 mouses my self but my need for multi button and left handed mice pushes me into having a USB mouse.

Speed wise i've never been happier with a USB mouse. Only think that bothered me with USB don't matter what brand i find them not booting up once in 20-30 comp reboots but all ways been easy to solve by replugging it in.

Overall i do think USB mice as better due to my requirements and i enjoy the 1600DPI.
    monohouse says thanks.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  4. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    FYI my P35 board does NOT have a mouse PS2 port. Only a keyboard PS2 port (and a USB port above that where the mouse port usually is)...

A sign of things to come?
    monohouse says thanks.
  5. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    You are sort of correct. Yes PS/2 has higher sampling rate (200 over 125) as standard, but with USB that can be increased to 500 or 1000.

Also you can't use more than 3 buttons on a PS/2 mouse (plug in a 5 button USB mouse with a converter and try and use the extra buttons).

A lot of older boards have MAJOR problems when you only have a USB mouse as they just don't detect it on boot-up and require BIOS flashes to do so.

However, I prefer USB mice, a lot more variety and customisation is possible.

And yes, there is also Serial Mice, but they are worse than PS/2 so don't even consider them.
    monohouse says thanks.
  6. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    No. Although I'm assuming that's only with XP upwards. I've not installed any drivers for my Logitech G5 and I can use the extra 2 buttons.
    monohouse says thanks.
  7. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    USB mice are better, they have faster data speeds and lower latency. Polling rate is adustible although someone pointless. optical firmware makes a much larger impact. USB mice are favored as they can be hot swapped, and are also cheaper to produce.

As for this rumor about ps/2 being faster and dedicated, its false. As long as you aren't using a mouse on a USB hub with while moving files through it you will have better performance with a USB.
    monohouse says thanks.
  8. Shyska New Member

Thanks Received:
    My mouse (pics below, you can see it is rubbed a lot there and there, cause i simply love it :toast: ) has 5 buttons working like a charm on Windows XP and Vista Ultimate with generic Windows drivers without any additional programs.

Unfortunately i have no idea what make/model it is as i got it as spare part from a laptop (i think).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    monohouse says thanks.
  9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Now that I did not know...everytime I've tried the extra buttons have never registered...
    monohouse says thanks.