1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Broom2455, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Broom2455

Broom2455

Thanks Received:
    As you can see from the attached image, I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (OEM) , running from what was a buffalo external drive (now partitioned into Buffalo Mini (G) and New Windows (C) ), a WD Black (Drive O) which at the moment is formatted as NTFS, which I need to convert to GPT file table. A disk with Old Windows (E) ,( the OEM version that was originally on the PC) and a System Disk ( which I can only assume is the 100MB used by Windows)
    In short what I need to do is move the New Windows (C) to drive (O). But if I clone (C) to (O) using Acronis True Image from WD, the system will not boot , as when I try to boot it comes up with an error requesting GPT... I have a UEFI Bios (F1) ....

PLEASE HELP !!!!
    Disk Manager.jpg
  2. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    You need to add the new drive's partition info to the boot loader.
  3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Try MiniTool_DiskImaging. Its free tool. It will also realign your partition if you are moving to a SSD.

These are the articles followed when I moved multi-OS drive to a SSD (XP and W7, removed XP and moved W7 alone)

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/205905-ssd-fix-misalignment.html

Along with these steps I used Acronis to take backups (full OS image) and restore to the new SSD and putting it in the proper starting location of the SSD. It might not boot, so you need windows disk to fix it.

After I restored to SSD, to align partition I used MiniTool Disk imaging software. Apparently you can do all these with the tool itself.

But always remember take BACKUPS BACKUPS BACKUPS TO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE OR NETWORK LOCATION!!!!
    Broom2455 says thanks.
  4. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Is windows currently on a GPT partition?

If you boot to your Windows 7 install cd (has to be the same version) with just the O: disk plugged in and choose Repair my computer on the first screen it will search for the Windows Partition. If it identifies it, you can try running Startup Repair. Sometimes it surprises me and works.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. Broom2455

Broom2455

Thanks Received:
    FX-GMC, Windows is currently on a NTFS Partition
  6. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code:
    In the command prompt:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0      (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.)

list partition

select partition 0    (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP)

detail partition  (This should have Active:  Yes or No.  If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart)

active
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  7. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    From what I know Win7 can not be installed on gpt partition(even with uefi in bios), only mbr, although he can write/read/format gpt partition, so I assume win7 can not boot from gpt partition if it is cloned, so if you wanna have GPT, you must Linux or Win 8(with Uefi in bios) or make mbr the target drive...my 2c...
  8. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Look up "Clonezilla." You should be able to do what you want with a little tech know-how.
  9. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    He did clone the partition, it just didn't boot. Tho Acronis could be to blame.

+1 for Clonezilla. I had a clonezilla server at work for imaging a laptop cart. Worked well but I eventually moved to FreeOpenGhost (http://www.fogproject.org/)
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    7 can be installed on a GPT with or without UEFI. You can also clone to one and it will boot if done correctly. The problem is cloning is not an exact science and there is many issues that can muck it up
  11. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    I just try to install Windows 7 Sp1 64b on Lenovo g500, on gpt hdd, with and without Uefi, from yesterday I try that, today I just converted from gpt to mbr(in linux), put legacy in bios, and no problem to install...
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Something else was going on. If you would have removed the partition and placed a unallocated drive then install and create the partition with W7 or 8 it will be a GPT. Also a UEFI instal will only work on a GPT
  13. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    The hdd was on gpt, I format it from linux/windows 7(even cmd) on ntfs(ntfs-3g), every time the windows installer tell me it can not in stall on gpt partition, even I removed/deleted all partiton(gpt remain), but this is my story not of op...
    Jetster says thanks.