1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Movie Maker in Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by guitarfreaknation, Dec 30, 2010.

1. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Hey folks. Im trying to compile a little movie using clips I took with FRAPS and it is stuttering and when I preview my movie its just awfully slow. That is fixed when I export it of course. I just want to know is there anything I can do to give it a boost?

*Please dont give me your critique on MM and how much it sucks and how much other software that I dont have or own are better. :)
  2. Nosada

Nosada

Thanks Received:
    When I use WMM it sometimes shows a bar filling up that says it's optimizing the file for preview. Could it be that you're trying to edit before this fills up completely?

That's the only time I have had stuttering in WMM. If not that, it might be you have missing codecs, but I'm far from sure of that.
    guitarfreaknation says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about which bar you are referring to. I have about 20-30 clips. I open my project, wait for all thumbnails to load. Still when I preview them, alot of stuttering and slow-mo playback.
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    actually i dunno on win 7 but when i run MM on xp it would several times not responding when i compile more than 3 clips or longer clips, so i have to save often or its gone
    if after you compile that it could run without any error i guess (maybe) its kinda characteristic of MM
  5. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but MM on windows 7 is very different from one on xp. I guess Microsoft just screwed up the support for 1080p content in MM which is frankly just sad...
  6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    If you're tyring to edit 1080p video, you might want to see if you can change any media cache settings; try to setup a scratch disk on your other HDD. If you've got another drive around spare, set it as a dedicated pagefile disk.
    Video editing is one thing - you can do it on almost any rig - but HD video editing is another ball game.
  7. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    I have a 40 gig laptop drive that is just sitting there that i can use. Would that help?
  8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    It just might.. what format is the file in? Not .mov I hope.

Does WMM have any media cache/preview settings?
    If not, just put your original footage on a separate drive to your OS and pagefile (the lappy drive would be ok)
  9. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Nah, the video files are all recorded through FRAPS in avi. Thanks for the tip.