1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Moving Windows

Discussion in 'General Software' started by GoFigureItOut, Apr 13, 2014.

1. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to install Windows onto a desktop then remove the hard drive and put it into another one? I know that some problems will occur because of the different hardware and drivers, but I also heard that Windows WGA blocks any attempts. I thought it was the HAL

2. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Why not just install it on the machine you want it on?

I have switched out hard drives between computers a few times and never had problems. Using windows XP, it rarely worked, but since windows 7, I've never had a problem.

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I've done this many times. In fact I have a core WIndows 7 x64 SP1 install on a 2.5" 160Gb disk I use to verify bad HDD's in laptops. Works pretty easily to test no boot issues related to an HDD issue. It has no drivers installed...and I use it with no active network connections, easy enough to do.

I've also done it with my SSD. And I just did it last night with a 2.5" SSHD 1.0Tb I am playing with for my Dell 3540. Works just fine...I recommend removing as many drivers related to your MB/VGA, but really with Windows Vista SP2, 7 and 8 I have had very little issue doing just what you're asking. Windows XP was different, but still do-able if one took the time.

There's a command one can run, but I've never needed it..look up Sysprep

:toast:

GoFigureItOut says thanks.
  4. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:

The machine I'm working is pretty much outdated, so I thought this would make the process a little bit easier.

5. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the information. It's a little foggy in my head, so I'm wondering if you know of any guides out there that shows how to do this

6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    sure install windows you want to run on machine A on HDD in machine B

then when your at the desktop you have to go to the sysprep exe (you can do it from cmd but i always just use the gui) located /windows/system32/sysprep

make sure the first drop down says oobe (out of box experience) check the generalize box then on the second (and last) drop down select "shutdown" and hit ok it will do some stuff and shut down when its finished. then just pull the HDD plug it into the new rig and it will start from, the OOBE stage type user name pass word blah blah blah.

sysprep is pretty much the easiest thing on the planet. you can even do some shit like install java and flash etc and sysprep it but i wouldnt do heavy programs. if you want to learn more you can google it. you can even make an xml file with options in it to insert CD keys and account names etc etc its a really cool tool.

GoFigureItOut says thanks.
  7. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:

What about the drivers from machine A? When I move the hard drive to machine B, will it act funny because of the different hardware?

8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    nope it just drops in.

Arjai says thanks.