1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no need for the language, or you directing your rage at members of the forum.

if you have such serious problems, stop using firefox and go play with chrome. Or do something constructive, such as send reports to the firefox team.

2. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    I'm fine with 3.0.11 thankyouverymuch.
    I will never use Chrome.
    All of the problems I mentioned are already filed on Bugzilla. the only problem is they probably aren't willing to change it back.

3. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    it loads faster than 3.0

i updated my mbp, from 3.0 to 3.5 and i noticed a speed difference.

4. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay -- you obviously have some rage issues that perhaps have nothing to do with Firefox... :wtf:

No one's making you use it!

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    personally i hated that damn close button. kept accidentally clicking it, when trying to hit the tab. Think i'm just retarded with poor aim? you try it from a touchpad.

you can click on a tab with your mouse wheel (button 3) and it closes it. so very hard to do.

6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I always just use Ctrl + T for a new tab, and Ctrl + W to close one. Then again, I like my keyboard shortcuts a tad more than the average joe.

7. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    TBH, I guess I've just never even had this problem! A long time ago, I started using the TabMixPlus extension to remove the close button from tabs, so they couldn't be closed that way.

Now, I just exclusively use a middle-click to close tabs if/when I need to. (Also, middle-click has the additional use of opening up a new tab if clicked on the empty tab bar -- this is also default behaviour in Chrome.)

Seriously -- that's the wonderful thing about Firefox -- if there's a behaviour that's annoying you, or something that you think could be done better, there's an extension out there that'll fix it for you. :laugh:

8. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    good news
    i've installed it
    takes 2 mins.
    HOWEVER
    for some reason
    i cannot right click any webpages
    as in a menu that pops out and says things like "copy image location" etc. etc.
    how do i fix this?

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    uninstall and reinstall, no plugins.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  10. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    thanks dude
    i love you. (no homo)

11. smuggler New Member

Thanks Received:
    I cannot give emprical proof but I've seen improvement. With 3.0 I could never open www.forbes.com so hat i switched to IE 8. But with 3.5 this site opens smoothly.

12. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    Strange, I'm tired of going there with 3.0, one of the sites I visit often :p.

13. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Funny because there's an about:config entry to completely disable close buttons. There isn't one to get back the close button on the last tab. to get it back you have to install Stylish and a style, or modified userchrome.css. all this for ONE button that was there in the last version. What's so "wonderful" about that?

When you right click on the last tab, Close Tab is grayed, there is also no close button, and yet at the same time you can close it with ctrl+w, file->close tab, or middle click(only possible when browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab=false). Inconsistency much? Why is the last tab treated so differently? There's nothing wrong about treating it like every other tab.
    Or is there?
    Now, read this bug(this is the one that started all this):
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392870
    In short, they make it so "closing the last tab will always close the window". However there is a problem with that: it's easy to accidentally close the entire window. To reduce the the likelihood of that happening, they disabled some of the ways to close the last tab. They added a dumb behavior to Firefox, then added more dumb behaviors to reduce the dumbness of the first one. Hmm, how smart is that? :rolleyes:

Now, can you see why I'm so annoyed?

14. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    At last!