1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MP3 Player Charge: After battery runs out completely or Whenever i can charge it

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wolf2009, Jun 12, 2008.

1. wolf2009 Guest

I bought a creative Zen 4GB, was wondering how should i charge it . SHould i let the battery run out and then charge it or should i charge it whenever possible with a lot of battery remaining .
  2. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I have a crappy MP3 Player and it uses a Lithium Ion Battery and to make them last longer your supposed to recharge about 50-75% through.

- Christine
  3. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I found lettin the battery drain till emty then recharging provided much better battery life then chargin every day.
  4. kyle2020 Guest

always fully discharge an MP3 player before charging it, it ensures long battery life and prevents battery memory. E.g if you keep charging it at 75% battery, in future if you do it long enough it will only charge up to 75% capacity out of habit.
  5. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Yep thats what happened with the old one i had basically it got to a stage were i be hardly playing it and the battery would be dying on me learnt my lesson with that one :/
  6. kyle2020 Guest

lesson i think most of us have learnt :laugh:

My phones just starting to do it, but thats because its like 2 years old and the batterys dying on me :(

Reason to buy an iPhone :D
  7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Li-Ion doesn't have a memory effect, so recharging or discharging to a certain level doesn't matter.
  8. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's what it said. in the box I got there was a rebate card, warranty card, battery info card and user manual guide. said something about maximum results and the lifetime was about 18 months. oh yeah and of course a warning not to chew... *spits out green goo* :laugh:

- Christine
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Most MP3 players, including the Zen series, use Li-Ion batteries, which do not have a memory affect, so you can charge it whenever you want. They do have a "shelf life" though, which means they start to loose the ability to hold a charge regardless of charge/discharge cycles.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my mp3 player is a "COBY 2GB" it's touch screen, about an inch in dimension i've had it for about 10 months and now the screen is starting to degrade, artifact. never dropped it :(

- Christine
  11. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The fact that the battery will degrade is not related to the way you charge it though. ie the memory effect. As for chewing MP3 players, that's a complete lie, completely safe.
  12. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was only joking about the chewing. gullable?

- Christine
  13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Nope, that's a left over myth from the days of Ni-Cad crappy batteries. In fact fully discharging a battery is actually bad for a Lithium Ion battery.

You should charge it when it gets to about 33%, and if for any reason you need to store the battery, leave it at 40% charge.

There is absolutely no need to "condition" the battery, of course the downside is that like the others have said, Li-ion has a Shelf Life.

Sarcasm?
  14. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just try to get electronics that run off of double and triple As.

A 9.99$ pack of Li-Ion rechargables and my 30 minute charger keep me going for a good year or two before I just go back to Radioshack and buy me some more :)