1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MP3's going missing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ??????, May 29, 2007.

1. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello

Recently I've had MP3's going missing, they're on an NTFS partition and are approximately 50GB worth. I was using Winamp and MPlayer 11 when I noticed by default MPlayer deletes music from your HDrive when you delete them from your libray unless you unselect the option. So I unchecked this option and have been using Winamp 5.34, but still MP3's are still going missing. The Folders they reside in still remain. I've checked the Hdrive with several apps for damage and even moved them to a different drive wth the same result. Nothingelse on the drives is being lost. The path is 2 directories deep to my mp3's where 229 folders reside.

P.S. mp3's are not copyrighted

Any help will be most appreciated

:toast:
    ??????

2. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have noticed some of them missing after a defrag from time to time.but other than that i have had no problems.

3. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    I used to have a problem with randomly missing music files,both mp3 and wma.Then i started keeping them in their own media folder (i.e. windows/music) and not the default(mydocs/mymusic),I have not lost any since.

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Wow, do you have an agent for the RIAA living with you? That's weird and kinda scary.

Did you do a complete search for *.mp3 on all your HHDs/removable drives? Perhaps an app "moved" them to some sort of library folder...

Oh, another thought - any backup or archive programs running?

5. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    None of the mp3s are discriminated against whether they're 25 years old, or a year old, so highly doubt RIAA. My system security is very tight, so I'm not concerned at all about somebody deleting them. I've got 2 hardware firewalls "with unused ports blocked and using port trriggering", software firewall, Peerguardian with Blocklist Manager and a modified HOST file. All traffic is logged and anything suspicious is anyalized. I'll probably put them in the root of one of my drives encrypted and locked just to see what happens. I think the culprit is MPlayer 11, or maybe too long of a path or something. "Some of the mp3s tags are quite long" Also I check the folder size every day and it's been okay for 2 days now. I Don't what else I should do they seem to be okay atm.

Any idea m8s ?

??????

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  6. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Sasqui

I've got no backup software that runs dynamically and I've searched my drives with no results. I did recover some of my files through file recovery.

??????

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  7. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has CHKDSK run at all?

8. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes chkdisk has run with no probs, and I haven't done a defrag on the drive containing the mp3s

thx
    ??????

9. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I asked 'cause when I reinstalled Windows on a fresh hard drive, CHKDSK would run on the next reboot after I had transferred lots of files from my old drive to the new Windows one. I couldn't even skip CHKDSK 'cause it would want to run again. I noticed that during its scanning, it deleted some of my mp3s, and I confirmed it in the CHKDSK log. I still have no idea why it did that.

I also don't know how it determined which files were problematic. Only once did it target mp3s. Other times it was a few random files it seemed.

10. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey GJSNeptune

I had CHLDSK tare up an old sata drive that I'd been using for quite a few years. The filesystem was busted and I lost a lot of client stuff. I was not very impressed :( I backed up what was left and zero filled the drive copied everything back over and it was fine.

In this situation it's just strange because it happens even when I move the MP3 dir to another drive, and even given the attrib of read only after the move. It's got to be Winblows or some software doing this, but like I mentioned before I've only got MPlayer 11 "which I don't use", Winamp or VLCplayer. No virus/spyware/adware.

As of today my mp3's are still okay, but for how long I dunno. Any other ideas are most appreciatted, thx

??????

11. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why CHKDSK ran for me as well. I'd move maybe 5GB of music, from one hard drive to the other. Then CHKDSK would run on the next reboot. It happened everytime I moved a lot of files from the old hard drive to the new one. Pissed me off.

On the other hand, I noticed that I was moving files into the My Documents folder. I tried making a new folder in the root directory and moving files there, and it seemed to work.

12. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    @GJSNeptune

My mp3's dir was in the root of one of my drives to begin with, then I moved the 2x dir deep on another drive with still the same prob. It may still be an NTFS filesystem restriction because of the long tags and amount of folders, but because it was doing it on the root of a drive too it makes me wonder why. I don't use MS indexing either. Maybe it's some freak phenomenon, but I believe there is some logic reason behind this.

??????

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  13. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the initial drive is in an early stage of crapping out, but too early for any software to detect it. Seen this quite a few times. Some of the mp3's maybe have copied over okay, but may be currupted do to the first drive that could be a little shotty. I seem to be able to move stuff to and from the drive with no probs, and it was only mp3's that got busted up. So I don't really know :confused:

??????

14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar thing happen to me. Turns out my partition table became corrupted. Not corrupted enough to kill the partitions apparently, but corrupted enough to wipe out a good many of my movies and music over a period of time. I had to back-up, and do a full-format to get it working properly.

15. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Wile E

The drive that I moved my mp3's to I created only 1 primary NTFS partition with 4KB cluster size. I haven't lost anything in a few days now. Next I'm gonna move them to the root of the drive if I loose anymore. Then possible encrpytion or folder lock if that don't work. All 6 of my drives and controllers pass diags, not that that rules them out completely. My system is very stable and I haven't lost any other files on either drive other than a couple of GB of mp3's leaving their directories behind.

??????

16. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Just in case they are just not showing up for some unknown reason. See if you can still find them with Total Commander. If they're still there, they'll show up. I found this when I got a folder locking program that was a bitch to remove. The files were there but I could not see them. They were not hidden or anything. Use commander and search for them as well, in case they have been moved somewhere random. A wildcard here--> Use commander to search in C://System Volume (something like that)

17. ?????? New Member

Thanks Received:
    @theonetruewill

I'm not using a folder locking app yet. I've got a good one though that I've never had problem with. aka. File and Folder Protector I might install this just to lock my files to help further isolate what the problem is. btw Total Commander definately a must have app ;)

??????