1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

mp4 H264 or mkv H264?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Melvis, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, Ive been doing some DVD ripping and i have started to convert all these shows/files into mp4 H264 but the program also gives me the option of mkv H264. Now my question is what one is better? for quality etc? So far the mp4 H264 is doing a pretty good job, but wanted to know if the mkv H264 is any better? and why?

Also i have been testing this program out using my X6, my i7 and my FX to see how each CPU performs while converting these shows, if you like more info on how they compare let me know ;)

:toast:
  2. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    iirc, mkv gives you more flexibility in choosing different kinds of things you put into the file, like other codecs, and things like subtitles. For quality, it all depends on the sort of codec and quality settings you use.
    If you configure mkv the same way as you do MP4, they will give you exactly the same output.

I prefer mp4 over mkv myself, since I usually leave everything at their defaults, and because our PS3 wont recognise MKV files.
    Melvis says thanks.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like ill stick with the MP4 H264 then :) As i also use a PS3

FPS when converting with these three different CPU's

Phenom X6 1055T 65FPS
    i7 940 75FPS
    FX 8350 102FPS

Program is DVD FAB 9 and all settings to max quality 2x passes :)

Great program that uses all cores very well
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    The simple overview, MP4 was designed as a generic wrapper. It does most common encoding types, and plays on almost all modern devices.

MKV was designed as a very specific wrapper. It is far broader on what encoded material it can contain, and is designed for good subtitle compatibility. The reason for MKV is, in a broad sense, anime. MKV wrappers allow a diverse amount of subtitling (for subtitling groups), but it plays on less devices.

Generic DVD rips, go MP4. If you're only going to be playing files on a computer then MKV offers more flexibility.
    Melvis and Mathragh say thanks.
  5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info very helpful.

I like the idea of the MP4 and working on many devices, as the shows im doing are all in English so no need for sub titles.

Later they could be re burnt to disc so ill keep them on MP4 i think.