1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MS advises users to play safe with Word

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, May 24, 2006.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Attacks targeting an unpatched vulnerability in Microsoft Word 2002 and 2003 have prompted Microsoft to tell users they should run the application in "safe mode".

The workaround does not address the underlying vulnerability, but running Word in safe mode will thwart current attacks based on the vulnerability, Microsoft advises.

Redmond is testing a more complete fix, which is scheduled for delivery on 13 June. To run Word in safe mode users need to disable the Outlook feature that invokes Word as a mail editor before restarting their machine and appending /safe to the WINWORD.EXE command line.

More info on the Microsoft web here.

Source: The Reg

2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    More and more exploits... I can understand software can't be perfect but I think M$ needs to do more to get accross information like this to general consumers that otherwise won't realise.

3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    What kind of vulnerability is this, backdoor where just having it installed is dangerous, or do you need to execute a virus'd file?

4. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:

Well nobody is in doubt that there are a LOT of vunerabilities in Microsoft software but the fact is so many flaws are found in their stuff because people are looking harder for them with their software.

Many other products will have just as many flaws but Microsoft is a victim of thier own success.

5. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why I said M$ has to do more to try and get these warnings accross to consumers. I know that there are going to be vulnerabilities but people that frequently check to find out what these are need to be given more information on what's going on.

6. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I do agree there microsoft doesnt do mearly enough to inform people.

7. RickyG512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    is it possible to install MAC OS X 10.4 tiger on a AMD x2 3800 machine, can i still have my windows xp. will i neet to get all my software compatible for mac again

8. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wtf?! Why have you posted this here? :banghead: