1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MS IE Vulnerability patch failure

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rtwjunkie, May 2, 2014.

1. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Well, I arrived home to find that MS has discovered an urgent vulnerability in all versions of IE, fixed by patch KB2964358. Which would be nice if it actually would install on Windows 8.1.

Yes, it's up to date, with all patches from "Patch Tuesday." Yes I downloaded it manually, saving once and running the installer, and just letting it run instead of installing. Fail, Fail, Fail. Failed 5 times in MS update, and twice each of the other ways.

Has anyone met any resistance to this patch?

EDIT: well, so far I have tested it on two W7 computers, both running IE 11, and both have been successful. The problem is with W8.1 in my signature.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    do you have an Antivirus Running? If you do that can cause random issues, Especially Avast, Ive seen Malwarebytes Fail to update due to Avast. Also Read up on that KB article to see if you have to remove another update in order to get that one to install, (Yes Ive had an issue before because of another update that needed to be removed and then installed with the latest one)

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

Known issues with this security update

• Internet Explorer will crash if you try to install this security update on a Windows 7-based system that does not already have security update 2929437 installed. To avoid this issue, take either of the following actions:
      • Install security update 2929437, and then install security update 2964358. For more information about security update 2929437, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
        (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929437/ )
        Description of the security update for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: April 8, 2014
      • Install security update 2964444 instead of security update 2964358. Security update 2964444 is intended for systems that do not have security update 2929437 installed.

4. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. No, I don't need to uninstall another update. It asks that KB2919355 be installed first, or it will fail. That update is in fact successfully installed since Patch Tuesday. I do have Avast running.....the same Avast that couldn't care less on the W7 computers. I've always had trouble with W8 updates. It was the same before on a previous install with 2 different antiviruses. I will try turning Avast off though, just to be sure.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    im on W7 32 and sometimes Avast does cause the updates to not install or download fully (Laptop)

Still waiting to get rest of parts for my Sig Rig

6. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    no dice. Avast allowed the update on my W7 systems running IE11. It still failed even with Avast turned off.

nothing else is awaiting any kind of install or update A scan by Malwarebytes and Avast both yielded zero results, just in case that was the trouble.

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ugh the hate (H8) of Wait (W8)

im not sure what else can be the issue but

Go to the far bottom of this article for your specific setup too, it might help aim you in the right direction

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

my 7 machine got the update aswell, no issue- how odd, must be a flaw in W8 or the file itself...

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  8. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    OK, I followed the help links, even downloaded the Windows Update Diagnostic Utility. It's still not fixed. It's very odd that this on OC/OS consistently has had problems with updates, while my W7 PC's never have an issue. And if I did not make it clear before, I had issues with Windows Update on a previous install of W8 on entirely different hardware. Installed 8 on this new build earlier this year, then immediately installed 8.1. I've been fine on updates until today.

Previously I would wait a few days, try again, and download manually, and eventually they would take. The reason I have an issue with this is because I shouldn't have to wait, and it shouldn't only affect one OS, should it?

EDIT: I might add, the Windows Update Diagnostic failed to fix everything. It made some registry fixes (so it said), stopped and restarted BITS, supposedly repaired the Update utility, but had the red triangle next to failed update, stating it failed to fix that.

Something I noticed: On my W7 PC's, a Restore Point was created. On this W8.1 system, it did not say it was creating a restore point, which it normally does for updates that require it. Is this a crucial bit of information?

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    that could very well be the issue, Im definitely Skipping Windows 8.

10. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    System Restore settings appear to be working, and I just created a manual Restore Point. Hmmm...I'm going with sfc /scannow, and see what happens.

EDIT: No luck with that, any of the Fixits I downloaded, or in restarting Volume Shadow Copy Service. I'm going to shelve this and hope W8 PC doesn't get hooked by this vulnerability until I can try again in a couple days. Or tomorrow, LOL, because I am sure I won't be able to let this go.

11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Just installed this update on w 8.1u1 with no problems.

Try to run sfc and then try to reset updates

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  12. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    sfc found zero errors. that was followed twice by using the fixit on your link, with no success. :-(

But, I shall try again tonight. I may end up doing the manual fix listed after that. It was a little lengthy for me to get into last night, because it was getting late when I got to it, and I was already in a foul mood from the update failing 16 times.

13. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    No issues installing the update on my work or home machine running Windows 8.1

Maybe try a DISM /repair-health?

14. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    ??ummm....do what? I'm not familiar with that term.

15. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

Leave out /Source and /LimitAccess to use Windows Update or Configuring a Repair Source

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry this may not be productive but the fix for IE is to not use IE. God only knows whatever bugs they will find...

17. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    If only it weren't required for certain sites/applications.

18. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    @FX-GMC: I will give this a go tonight. Although, All the previous updates on this current install have been fine. How would the image suddenly be corrupt so as to not take one update? I do think it interesting on the previous install it also had many many problems with updates. So, perhaps there is something corrup on the disc image itself, which could explain things.

Anyway, I appreciate the link to the technet article. Keeping my fingers crossed for tonight...

19. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    If I'm not mistaken, an unpatched IE can still be a security hazard, even if another browser is exclusively used?

20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    True. We have some apps that say they only support IE 10 but we have had better luck with an up to date Firefox or Chrome using it.

Not for this specific bug. You have to hit certain compromised websites for it to be an issue.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  21. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Worked fine on Win8.1 update one and the latest version of windows server for me.

Also,
    This is 2014, a couple of years ago I suppose I would've agreed but not anymore.

Constantine Yevseyev says thanks.
  22. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Good to know. Thanks!

23. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Well, interesting development. This evening i tried again, as Windows Update still shows KB2964358 needs to be installed. Multiple times I tried, and it would revert to a green field saying "Not needed" and "already installed". Update history however does not show it installed, only multiple fails.

Can windows update report incorrect results? I've never seen that.

24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Yes it can. Ive had it happen in past, where i tried to install a specific update and it would fail