1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MS make it difficult but you get there in the end (OEM, OPK, MLK etc)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by EnglishLion, May 6, 2008.

1. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded from XP to Vista a while back. My XP had MS Office 2003 which doesn't work properly with Vista (not saving Outlook passwords being the main gripe). So I installed Office Pro 2007 trial while I decided what to do next.

I would have been happy using Openoffice except that I need to be able to sync my windows mobile pda which windows mail won't do. Outlook on it's own is very expensive especially as that's all you're getting. Home and student edition no longer includes outlook. Std and Pro are both too expensive for my liking so I settled on OEM Basic edition (Word, excel and outlook).

Bought my media free licensing kit thinking that I could convert my free trial (especially as the license included a trial of pro anyway) but the key was rejected! Fortunately I'd expected this was possible and downloaded an ISO of the basic edition CD but I'm guessing because it was basic edition and not 'basic with pro trial' my key was again rejected.

Then I noticed that you could order backup CDs using your key online, so I decided to do that and wait the days, weeks or months it'd take for delivery. But found that there was a download option (something MS did that was good!) and I filled in the form which ends with an entering an email address to send the download link to. How I'm supposed to be expected to access an email link to download my email package I don't quite know but I got there in the end using windows mail for my account for a 1 off download, this was after I tried my webmail account and found that the hyperlink was missing in the message in my webmail.

Anyway I now have my software back up and running but installing outlook onto vista has cost more than vista itself and my brain is bewildered by OEMs OPKs and MLKs. It's enough to send any sane individual to piracy :banghead:

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    if it wasn't for your PDA openoffice is so much better...

3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't feel bad, you are not alone.
    MS's licensing schemes are bewildering at times.

4. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    ironic, that...