1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 280x gaming 3G

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by night.fox, Nov 4, 2013.

1. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    I am opting to buy MSI 280x 3G.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-280X-GAMING-3G.html#overview

Reason was this is a 2 slot or more thinner than 2 slot which is I need...

I know there is toxi which is like 40-50$ more but the cooler type is in appropriate for my case. (RV 03) inverted MOBO. meaning vertical positioned GPU.....

any feedbacks on this? or is there a reason for me not to....

Please dont tell me buy 290x or 290. Those cards were out of reach :banghead: :p

for those who have this card, appreciate if you can share your experience with it.

I am not rushing to buy. I am planning to buy on December.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  3. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
  4. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    well till today i havent checked msi's 280x review after i saw it for first time and i havent clue about edit with new bios but even with it temps seems high for me.
    looks like direct implementation of TF4 from nvida to amd card doesnt went quite well.
    if you plan to cf new card with your 7950s i would prefer asus if i was in your shoes.
    if you going to use 280x card alone msi could do it too but yet there isnt software solution that can fully fix hardware flaws. so if you dont want card with very likely throttle issues better take asus.

night.fox says thanks.
  5. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    You should also consider the 280x DD from XFX,they fixed the cooler this time around and it takes exactly 2 slots.

Edit:If you plan to crossfire this card it looks like a long CFX bridge is a must due to the shape of the cooler.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    night.fox says thanks.
  6. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:

Ok thanks... I guess I need to search more. If I crossfire with my 7950, guess I wouldnt OC 280x that much. I can just OC my 7950 to match 280x. Yes I agree with you about the hardware flaws. Better a good hardware. Sounds like ASUS is better then.

Honestly, after I read problems with XFX before, both 7950 and 7970, I will try to avoid XFX. Although, XFX looks cool. atleast for me....

I think I wont have a problem with the xfire bridge. Sapphire has supplied me a long bridge before which is what I am using now with my vapor x 7950's. One is short and one is long...

Apparently, CCC ask me to install both xfire bridge. Dont ask me, CCC just want to if I want xfire to be enabled....

Now, I am down to MSI and ASUS. Sapphire Dual X and Vapor X is my 3rd option. Last option would be XFX, powercolor. I will avoid powercolor due to the red PCB. It doesnt look nice :D

I experienced vapor x and no problem so far. In fact they are good. But just want to try others as well.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Fox, I like the XFX warranties :( I really like ASUS, but I also really like "lifetime" over "3 years", altho chances are, we'll all be re-routing to new graphics in 3 years :)

night.fox says thanks.
  8. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Is it? huh.. thats something ...... :rockout: hmmm let me check out XFX then :D

edit: turns out XFX double D is not good for vertical position......

so XFX is no for me. It has basically same cooling heat sink as toxic....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    :( sorry :( Well, good luck :toast:

night.fox says thanks.
  10. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    no need to be sorry... well sorry for me though :toast:

I am actually building a new one...... not for me but for my wife's dad.

my plan is to buy 280x to xfire with my 7950 and one of my 7950 will be in that rig. But before doing that, just curious if my mobo can trifire. I seriously doubt though cause I have never find a z77 trifire without a PLX chip. Well excluding 6990+6970 or 7990+7970.

so it is my chance now to try :D although it will be 8+8 pcie3 +x4 pcie2. I did a deep search and found out that the last PCIE in my mobo is electrically connected to the CPU. So I am really curious about the performance....

Yes I know buying 7950 would be much wiser cause 280x will somewhat downclock but price of 7950 is 50$ less than 280x in Newegg. But in my country, 7950 cheapest new one is like whooping 400$ and the 7970 is 500$ and 280x is 450$. Luckily, I have a sister in law who has an APO address so a big chance for me to buy in US site..... :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Rottenapple New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought msi r9 280x but refunded it due to nasty coil whine. Got myself Asus and no coil whine unless fps goes above 2000+.

12. Trin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Msi r9 280x gaming

I just bought the card from Microcenter. They had an open box item for a great price. :D Couldn't pass that up. I am very pleased with it. When I game on BF4 temps recorded by GPU-Z latest version, I've only gotten 64C as the highest GPU temp. But ya I've read the ASUS 280X does a better overclock but hey couldnt pass up the offer from Microcenter. I wanted to game this weekend so its win-win!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  13. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    I have been thinking between MSI and Asus 280x. I think I know reason why Asus does overclock better. Apparently, Asus has better VRM cooling than MSI 280x. But Asus dont have any cooling at all in there memory..... is this ok?? But I could see as well MSI has cooling bracket for VRM and memory but one memory is not even cooled?

It is so strange that none of the reviews for ASUS 280X DCII mentioned about this no cooling heatsinks for memories.... now, I am double thinking about Asus 280x. But MSI 280x does looks cooler (for me) than ASUS 280X DC II

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The asus card has a better VRM either way the cooling just makes the difference more pronounced

15. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:

Yes thats also what I said... Asus has better VRM cooling making it more core Overclocking better..... but, the issue I mentioned above was that apparently Asus DC II top 280x dont have any heatsinks on their memory chips..... and NONE of the reviews i read doesnt mentioned anything about this......

of all the enthusiasts and high end cards ive looked, (except the 7950's ref. the one with fan on the middle) there are cooling heatsinks for the memory modules... MSI 280x does have but they leave one memory no heatsink? and Asus has none??? Even the reference 7970 does have memory module cooling

HD 7970 reference cooler
    [​IMG]

Asus 280x DC II top cooler

[​IMG]

MSI 280x gaming cooler

[​IMG]

BUT ASUS 280x Matrix does have

[​IMG]

so..... except for VRM cooling, how can be asus 280x DCII better than MSI 280x?

This leaves me a question in my mind then, is memory cooling not so important anymore?

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. ZetZet

ZetZet

Thanks Received:

Msi coils whine.

Asus doesn't.

17. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    coil whine i could live with that.. i think... lol...cause as far as i understand, has something to do with electric frquency... anyway, my question would be, if asus remove or dont put any heat sinks for their memory chips, whats the point then about others put some heat sinks in their memory modules when you put after market coolers like accelero??? nvidia cards has also memory chip cooling.... amd ref has. even the new 290's has... how come asus? none of the reviewers has also thought about this?

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    GDDR5 is a modified version of DDR3 and therefore has the same thermal behavior as in heatsinks aren't necessary as long as you have good air flow over it and don't push the voltage above 1.6V worst case scenario is that you get a card with Elpida memory and will have a crap memory OC if you get Samsung or Hynix you'll be fine with or without memory heatsinks.
    By the looks of it the fins in on the DCII cooler are so close to the memory that you could use thermal tape to get them connected to the RAM.
    Coil whine is just the sound of the inductor core bouncing in response the variation in the magnetic field of the inductor and has 0 effect on performance however it can get really really annoying(My Sapphire Vapor-X had this really annoying one after I switched to the test bench because of the orientation of the card and my PSU upgrade but with the right voltages it goes away)