1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 4850 no video signal

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by EwX, Jun 28, 2009.

1. EwX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi , i have problem with my new build as 4850 sends no video signal to LCD monitor. Everything else seams to work without problem as i can boot into windows and enter BIOS,but without video. GPU's fan is spinning at 100% and 2 LED's flashes for a few seconds during startup, but i've noticed that GPU itself stays cold,can't notice any heating on RAM/CORE/VRM's, like it would be dead. As i plug off pci-e connector the GPU lights up LED for missing pci-e power. I've checked/rechecked everything,every single power connector etc. just can't make GPU work right. Don't know what to do, but maybe someone had similar problem and could help ?
  2. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm .. hav u tried another VGA card ??
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Are you using the power supply/system in your System Specs?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. EwX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no spare PCI-E GPU at the moment and yes, my current PSU/system is that one in sig. Fresh build and major malfunction,so unlucky. Anyway i had no issues with 4850 when it ran on Epox 9NPA+Ultra a few days ago and it ran on the same PSU HX620W. Right now i'm forced to web-browse/type with my mobile phone as i have no backup PC.
    P.S. Just got 6600GT PCI-E and it works,will try 4850 with updated MB BIOS.
    It turns out 4850 is damaged,as neither on my or friend PC it worked.
    I pencilmoded that GPU before a new setup and it turns out i killed it with bad vMEM mod,as pencilmod'ing vCORE looks to be safe enough thing to do. In the end i RMA this card and most likely get a new one of my choice.
    Never going to pencilmod vMEM again,too risky, though vCORE looks to be safe to mod with pencil.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  5. oqsajec

oqsajec New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem, although i didn't mod it or do anything to it. i don't even have a port on my mobo to plug my monitor in to check if i have to chang the video output to the card (i heard some mobo's do that when you plug a card into the pci-e slot, you have to change it for the card to render the screen). This sucks because i'm about to get 2 EVGA 9800GTX+'s (512mb a piece)to replace my lil PNY 8600GT 256MB, and i want to make sure my board isn't damaged.
  6. EwX New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean you have IGP and want to disable it in BIOS and set PCI-E GPU as your primary card ? In this case your MB must have VGA or DVI output on it,if it don't, then your MB doesn't have IGP (or i missunderstood what you meant)
    First of all try another GPU and check if your MB isn't damaged
    and then check your 8600GT on the other PC ,and if it still shows no signs of life - just RMA it
    (ofcourse if you have a warranty over it)
    ...Maybe you meant a parameter in a BIOS that refers for Master and Slave setting for PCI-E slots (if your MB supports SLI).
    I think this setting has no effect on a single GPU. By default BIOS finds correct settings for your hardware,but... you could try to clear CMOS.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009