1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 5850 voltage mod troubles

Discussion in 'RBE' started by campb292, Mar 8, 2010.

1. campb292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been working with RBE and flashing different clock speeds to my 5850. All has gone smoothly (great program) until I tried a few voltage increases with RBE. If I increase voltage to 1.20 and increase GPU speed by 5MHz, I can still save and flash, but what I get is VERY slow performance when I go to bench (for example 41 FPS on VeryHigh in Crysis vs 15 FPS post flash. However, I can use afterburner to softmod for example 1.200 to up the clocks further without issue. Voltage monitoring in Afterburner also reflects the voltage increase when increasing with Afterburner.

I also notice the voltage table in RBE is empty, as it seems to be on most 5850 bios I have examined. Is it not possible to use RBE to increase the voltage beyond the 1.088 max voltage the original bios uses?

2. campb292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    more info - I did a test. I changed the gpu voltage in RBE to 1.155. Flash, entered windows, installed afterburner for monitoring. I ran the Crysis benchmark and had the same result - 17fps at 1.155 and 860MHz. Before that voltage change on the stock 1.088 volts and 850Mhz it runs at 43fps. Also, on the afterburner graphs I notice the card never moved to high 3D setttings - it stayed at 400 MHz on the core the whole time and 1.000 volts.

I would assume this is because my change to 1.155 was made invalid so it is not an option the card can pick from?

3. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Did you change to voltage registers to 1.155V? In that case there is no picking. The register is random programmable - it eats up to 2.0V, as far as I know.

4. campb292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did not change the gpu voltage register. The values in there right now are

0x15 1 <--- changes to this when i mod the voltages
    0x16 1.0375 <--- desktop 2D runs here
    0x17 1.0875 <--- seem to be default high 3D voltage
    0x18 .95

Do I need to modify one of those to the new voltage I am trying? Like

0x17 1.115 ?? I was nervous about editting there as the warning message is so stern.

5. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you should. You will have to change the voltage registers. When it comes to 5xx0-cards, if changing voltage registers, people found out that you mustn't change powerplay voltages. Just look into this for more details. Try around a little. If it doesn't work with register 0x18, you indeed should try 0x17 since it contains the highest voltage in your BIOS.

Yeah, those are everywhere... :)

6. campb292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the replies bagzz, I haven't found the answer yet but will keep tinkering. I have a SWEET Geforce 5500 (FX series baby) handy so I am not worried about upsetting the 5850.

Here is my last observation which might lead to a question: I changed one of the registers to 1.155 and made the 1.088 voltage a -, sort of in the manner of that link you sent minus using the 5870 bios. Oddly, when I get back to windows and run a monitored bench, the card still runs slow at 400MHz core and 900MHz mem at 1 volt. This is the 4th setting in powerplay voltages. I went back in a changed that one to the 860/1250 and - also. Flash, rebooted, and again, slow 400/900 1.0 volt in a Crysis bench. Now, that isn't even a powerplay choice as I wrote over it. Meh.

I love the program even though I struggle to get it how I want. I keep tinkering, any ideas I will gladly take. I think a donation is in order.

7. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Do you have Overdrive enabled?

8. campb292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes it is enabled

edit#1 - I have noticed when I leave the default voltages (1.088) and just bump the clocks to 850/1250 ATI Overdrive is still visible in catalyst. When I change the registers to 1.15 or 1.20 or 1.22 etc ati overdrive disappears from catalyst and i just have the 400/900 clocks.

???

I sent a little donation - sorry it is in lame US$ lol

edit#2 - I uninstalled CCC and flashed the original bios and reinstalled. Overdrive present and fine. Flashed my non-voltage modded bios of 850/1250 clocks and rebooted. Overdrive present. I then changed the the x17 register to 1.20 flashed and rebooted. Overdrive is still there, but when I check to enable it then hit apply, it flashes briefly and is unchecked again. I uninstalled catalyst and reinstalled. Overdrive gone. Clocks are again at 400/900. Something seems to go wrong when i change the voltages with RBE. I double checked Afterburner and can still change the voltages to anything and all works fine. I just prefer bios mod over soft mod because I am a weirdo and like a challenge?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  9. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    When you tinker with BIOS modding you should disable overdrive. It gets into your way with clocks and voltages and you don't need it anyway since you do the overclocking using the BIOS, right?
    Would be best to flash the original BIOS and reinstall catalyst. If overdrive is still on after that, turn it off. After that you are free to go to play with your BIOS and its mods! :cool:

Thank you for your donation by the way. Very generous! :toast:

10. campb292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh I think there was some miscommunication... I thought u had said to enable overdrive but now I see you were just asking IF i had overdrive on. No, normally when going through this process I did not have it enabled. I tried enabling it with no success which I guess didn't matter anyway.

So yes, overdrive is off and has been installed and reinstalled many many times, I still just get that 400/900 1.0 volt result.