1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Afterburner...Is going to expire....and none of the new versions work!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by MatTheCat, Feb 29, 2012.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using MSI afterburner to overclock my 7970 mostly because it allows for automatic fan control for 'quiet' when not gaming and louder, (but cool) for when gaming. I also like it for the G19 LCD panel display function it offers.

However, I have been getting a message from MSI Afterburner recently telling me that my 'Beta' version is about to expire, and that I must update.

Well I update (several times) and now the p.o.s. doesnt fkn work right in that it no longer has the ability to reliably save profiles. Now that I have wasted yet another hour of my precious time on earth trying to sort out yet more totally unnecessary computer bugs, I have just about had it with MSI and thier p.o.s. 'expiry date' on something that I had which worked just fine.

Can anyone tell me what my (non MSI Afterburner) options are here?

I know I can now overclock in CCC but I also want to increase fan speeds for gaming whilst having them slow right back down when back in desktop mode, without having to do this manually every fkn time.,

THX.

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    What version did you have before? My favorite was 151 on my 5850 cause it allowed max clocks and voltage control.

Evga precision is good

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 7970, so the only one that works is the 2.20 beta....I was on version 10, I tried version 11, and then version 14.

4. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    And does that work with AMD/ATI cards?

Evga are an Nvidia vendor.

5. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    MSI Afterburner is for..surprise!...MSI cards. Support for other cards is not provided, and never will be. If it works with other cards, you're lucky.

Lulz, you cannot get mad at software that isn't really intended to be used by you. :laugh:

7. Bambooz

Bambooz New Member

Thanks Received:
    MatTheCat says thanks.
  8. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which are plain old reference cards.......

........just like my Powercolor is.

F**K MSI anyways.

This pain in the butt they have caused me wont be forgotten when considering future purchase decisions.

9. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Also have you tried AMD Overdrive?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Which is why you got lucky. However, once properly updated, it won't unlock votlage control on anything but MSI cards(by checking BIOS).

Like I get what you are saying, really, I do, but it's not really meant for non-MSI customers, and if you go to the MSI support site, you'll see this said again, and again, and again...

Buy MSI, and then you can complain. :laugh: Like I sorry to say that, but it is what it is. They pay for that software to be built for their customers, not the general public. Letting the genreal public BETA test is useful to them, but it doesnt mean the genreal public gets to do anything other than beta test.

Personally, I don't use any third-party tools at all on my perosnal rigs. I might try them out with new hardware, but never for 24/7 use, becuase of issues exactly like yours.

qubit says thanks.
  11. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    So you're judging the company based off of a piece of free beta software that technically isn't intended for you anyway?

That sounds kind of petty to me.

Zubasa, xenocide and qubit say thanks.
  12. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    HMM They locked down features to ONLY MSI customers now? learn something new everyday. I never check their website so I wouldn't have known

*Edit*

I just read that you CAN use MSI Afterburner on any card as long as Unofficaloverclocking is marked to 1 (From what MSI forums said)

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I got an MSI Z68 mobo and none of their p.o.s. software applications for that works properly either!

Am I yet in a position to pass some consumer disatisfaction on this stupid fkn company?

14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sure, go to their forum. :laugh:

For clock adjustment, sure.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

You just get zero support.

From Unwinder himself:

UNwinder isn't paid to support other cards. If the BIOS is different reference card or not...there's no way for him to know.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah mine started doing it some time ago.. i had enough of it and just use ATT although i don't believe you can control the fan like you can with Afterburner. Which is why i loved using GPUTool which i think is called Trixx now for Sapphire cards.

16. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Cat, can you try the version I posted?

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried 2.20 Beta 12.... That is what I am currently using and everything works.... Plus I am even using Xfire so you'd think that would be more of a chance for me to have bugs then u!

Anyway Things that work for me...

Monitoring Temps...
    Voltage control on Core and Memory....
    Overclocking....
    Fan profiles....

Everything..... Plus I am using Sapphire cards. Otherwise if you are still having problems try Trixx

Give it a shot

18. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    try to disable the expiration, its probably a setting in the registry... there is for sure a way to disable that and the date it is set to expire.

Might want to email Unwinder and ask.

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Not all BIOSes have the same clock domains or voltages, although the cards are physically similar.

If it works..it works..if it doesn't, you're SOL.

However, if you have an MSI card, you can get help for the problem from MSI directly, or the Afterburner forum on Guru3d.

That's my only point here.

20. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Wait until someone posts an official MSI bios for your card and then flash it. Also, remember to keep your original bios, just in case. That will work if both your card and the original card are reference design.
    You might have to wait for them to update afterburner for the 7xxx series first.

cadaveca says thanks.
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Internet cookies for you, my friend.

I don't really think that would have any impact on the OP's problem though..is probably due to left-over registry entries screwing stuff up.

22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Oh boo hoo, so their FREE tool that they provide their customers, which you aren't, doesn't work for you. Go cry me a river.:cry:

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  23. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried it..

was the version that I had when I got the card.

7970 was not supported, therefore I needed to get the 2.20 beta.

24. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    You're wrong on the reference cards. Not all msi cards are reference design. My 6950 twin frozr III's are not reference, nor are my twin frozr II's...

Perhaps you'll remember when you "consider your future purchase" to buy a card with a properly supported overclocking utility??

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I'm not American. I just think you get what you pay for..and you didn't pay for Afterburner, nor is this the MSI or Afterburner forums.

Now, if you had an MSI card, I would NOT respond the way I have..which may have been a bit blunt. I just wanted to make sure that the air was clear, and there were no misconception about AfterBurner working on some cards. Personally, I think it should work fine.

That said, I think your issue is 100% software-related, and might be due to silly way they are seemingly forcing you to upgrade. I agree 1000000000% that it's silly, but at the same time, I can understand why they'd want it that way.

What I WOULD like to hear from you is if it works on a fresh OS install. I'm fairly sure that it's just the upgrades and such that are causing you grief with fan control. I won't mention that i think custom fan profiles are silly. AH crap, I already did. :laugh: