1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces Radeon HD 7970 Lightning Boost Edition Graphics Card

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    The card does look great and I wish I had one, but just like the HD 7990's, aren't they a little too late? HD 8900's are rumoured to be just around the corner. Of course if you plan to Crossfire, this would be a great addition. IMO.

2. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
  3. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    I know for a fact that MSI have planned releasing their HD7970 Ghz Ed. Lightning a while back, somewhere around mid-late Aug.

And yes, an Mpower Z77 system with a couple of Lightning cards does look shhhmexy.

4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    maybe but the HIS card has been available for some time the MSI has not the MSI is clocked lower, so i dont see what the fan fare is about if it comes to pure performance the HIS has the edge when it comes to when you could purchase the card the HIS has the edge, granted i prefer the MSI cooler even tho i hate yellow its still less gaudy than the HIS but regardless his has the faster card it was available earlier and knowing MSI the HIS card will be cheaper. Im just not that impressed.

5. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Crazyreaper/anyone else questioning this card: You know this card is a re-release right? The original Lightning has been on the market for several months already... :)

6. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    correct and its extremely over priced vs its competition Powercolor 1100Mhz Vortex II models been around just about as long with a higher clock. MSI may be releasing but for all the hoopla of their lightning models their seldom the top dog lately, Powercolor + HIS both offer higher clocked models at lower cost and suprisingly enough Sapphire cards in terms of review samples have clocked as good or better than the MSI, its a preference thing.

i can't say much my Asus 7970 Direct Cu II is stuck at 1100mhz due to most software no longer supporting voltage control now. it did before but requires older drivers to get anywhere which sucks so i guess in that regard the MSI is better buy i suppose.