1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI boards are for gaming, but ASUS are not?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by skellattarr, May 18, 2009.

1. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    my friend told me that asus motherboards are just glamour boards and not made for gaming he said msi boards are a lot better i don't agree with him does anyone have some input on this. by the way he told me my motherboard sucks and i should have never got it

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't there a very similar thread about "gaming" motherboards not long back?

3. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i know i just need something to argue my point with him lol

4. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    there was a thread like this, yes and we concluded this: there is no such thing as a gaming motherboard, there are enthusiast, overclocker, crappy, bang for your buck boards.

And yes, imo, msi beats asus in some aspects while it loses in others.

5. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    Look for some reivews on Asus motherboards, compare them to reviews on MSI motherboards, both aimed at the gamer/performance market, and then you can speak figures to him. If he still talks crap, then hit him with a wet fish. :)

6. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i like the wet fish idea lmao

7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I have had three Asus boards, all doing fine. Bought a MSI board and it didn't even let me install an OS lol. And they're not glamour, they just look good while performing good also. Anyway, what does your mate mean by "made for gaming" anyway.

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No boards are made for gaming. the cheapest board at stock settings, performs the same as the most expensive board at stock settings.

MSI boards are inferior to asus boards generally, but that doesnt mean the cheapest asus board is better than an expensive MSI.

Using nerd as a derogatory term here is not a wise move.

9. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    sorry for using nerd wasnt thinking

Mussels says thanks.
  10. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    What defines a "Gaming" motherboard?

a $50 motherboard and a $400 motherboard will perform identically in games so its a moot point.

Anything branded for "Gaming" is largly a marketing ploy that 90% of people fall into and blow mor money. Same thing with SLI/X-Fire cerifyed PSUs/Ram its all hogwash yet they manage to get more money out of people that buy into it.

Asus motherboards had a bit of a slum over the past 2 years... and they have just pulled out of it i would say in the last 8 months or so... I'm assuming they changed manufacturing plants, or supplyers for components, something like that. But of late they make phenominal boards.

The biggest thing with Asus is the warranty. Superb warranty service and they ALWAYS stand by it, you almost never have to dick around to have something warrantyed wich is great. (I'm talking from a wholesale perspective as well as personal, as i have used probobly close to 500 asus motherboards over the past 4 years)

MSI on the otherhand I have had probobly 20-30 of their boards and all of them that i remember had little quirks that were not quite right... always kinda pissed me off that they would almost never "just work" always had to fiddle around with them a bit. Also MSI warranty is a pain in the ass.

and Dont even get me started about gigabyte.

my 0.02.

11. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yeah pretty much what mussels said, the only difference between motherboards goes to things like stability, overclockability, and features like sli support or crossfire support, this one has more usb ports than the other etc. It's not like one motherboard will get 50fps in given application and another rig with the same parts but a different motherboard will get 70fps.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>>

Thanks Received:
    Now mussels, I do agree with you in saying that MSI boards are inferior to asus boards generally, however i do feel like there is a gaming mobo around us.

Presenting...our lord...the one...the only...EVGA x58 Classified!

Let us all bow down to our board of lords! :respect:

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    I dont recall this. Asus has had great intel boards from the 965 chipset and up. They had a few fail Nvidia chipset boards, but so did everyone who used those chipsets.

gigabyte are the only board makes with more BIOS issues than MSI. They work fine at stock for 90% of customers, but as soon as you become a minority (using high voltage ram, or needing manually set ram timings, etc) then you're usually screwed. I've owned gigabyte systems since the P3 days, and asus since the P4 days - i've had to replace EVERY gigabyte board due to an incompatibility with common hardware or total failure, but never had to with an asus. (always for upgrade purposes)

Everyone can have a favourite board, but at stock speeds its not going to perform any different to any other x58 board. (at least not to anything noticeable)

14. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    My MSI board works fine, overclocks like a charm and for $85 (AU) it was a steal. But the NB is quite hot, even on stock volts, which is a little annoying. So there's that quirk...

15. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:

that falls under my category of Enthusiast Board.

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the last one i used overheated the NB at stock, i think it was Nforce 550. after 4 hours of desktop use (nothing intensive, no folding etc) the system would just crash. it still hit 60C with a passive thermalright NB cooler on it.

17. stuartpb

stuartpb New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have used Asus boards for most of my PC builds, but I have also tried a few MSI boards too. I can honestly say that I have never had an Asus board fail out of the box yet, but I have had quite a few MSI boards that I have had to RMA. This leads me to believe that MSI have QA problems, or aren't as stringent as Asus in their QA process. For that alone, I would prefer to buy Asus. Everyone has their own favourite brand of board, and Asus have always had the edge over MSI for me.

18. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    One thing to say about gaming grade hardware. Mostly it is hogwash but consider this: I see a difference in gaming mice and regular run-of-the-mill office pc mice. Gaming mice have a much higher sensitivity than office mice and greater precision too. I am just now starting to see optical mice in the office environment, before they were mostly trackballs. However many gamers have laser mice which are generally higher-precision, higher-sensitivity than optical mice. Actually, considering this, one might say that higher quality stuff is slapped with a gaming label and lower quality stuff is slapped with the office label. For example DDR2 1066 4-4-4-12 may be considered gaming memory while DDR2 533 5-5-5-15 may be considered office memory. The gaming memory will be better but only because it IS better, not because of the magic gaming label.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:

Mussels, the last few generations of asus board have used the lowest end japnse caps and components money can buy and score an avg efficiency of around 78 to 80%. Now when you look at MSI they have used middle of the road jpnse caps or better on their recent boards and they have even designed it to top 85 to 90% efficiency. So I rest my case with that

20. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wont touch an MSI or Gigabyte board anymore FAR to picky, and warranty are a hasstle. In fact i wount be buying ANY Gigabyte products anymore.

I personally really like ECS motherboards.... I know alot of people will say otherwise... but i have had AWSOME success with them... (in regular PC use... nothing performance related) and mostly asus and DFI boards.

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    more people here on TPU have asus than MSI, and i'm yet to see people start complaining about blown capacitors on asus boards.

its always nice to see better caps, but if the cheaper caps arent causing problems at stock or OC'd... wheres the issue?

22. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have an issue. My motherboard blew up when I ran 1.375v through a phenom 9500, and it's supposed to have real-lots-great solid state caps too. Killed my video card too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    well theres one.
    Also, damn. that would suck many times over.

what board?

24. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Same board in my specs. It got RMA'd and I got a new one. Maybe it was just a bad board, who knows.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the one in your specs is biostar? i thought you were talking about an asus board, since thats the topic.