1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

msi gtx 580 twin frozr II as pyhsx ?

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by asayrix, Dec 30, 2011.

1. asayrix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys first of all I am very new to this forums I just registered, I have looked for this topic but I could not find it so please forgive me if this questions has been asked already and forgive my grammar. Last month I bought some pc hardwares and made my self a gaming rig and when I was looking for a decent gpu i figured out that gtx 580 would be the best choice and I decided to get this gpu, my gut told me to go with msi but it was a deadly mistake because i had no idea that the product I purchased was damaged.

one of the fan had a little crack and I did not see it. Well I took it back where I bought it but they told me it is out of guarantee since the fan has a little crack on it. Anyways I found a company that repair electronic hardwares and brought it there , long story short they were able to repair it , but of course this whole process took ages and i bought a zotac gtx 590 in the meantime , now my question is can I use my gtx 580 as pyhsx card ? would that boost my system as performance wise or would I bottleneck my system ? I cant really sell it since it is out of guarantee and i would not sell this to someone and make them suffer and upset them so I cant really throw it away so what please help me and tell me what you think about this idea . I would like to thank you all in advance for reading my post and and for your spare time. I almost forgot my Power supply : Corsair : GS 800 80 C

ps: sorry for my wall of text I am not the best writer :)

2. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    using 580 for a physx card is a bit of a overkill also it wouldn't increase performance much at all most games don't use physx mainly the UT engine, I would sell it if there nothing wrong with the card there shouldn't be any problem.

3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Pointless to have a GTX 580 just for a PhysX card. And to be honest even getting a cheap card for PhysX is not even worth it since there aren't exactly a huge selection of games that could benefit.

4. asayrix New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok guys then I will try to sell it but price will be killed :( thx tho

5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Shame Nvidia wont let you TriSLI the 590 with the 580, the same way that AMD allows their dual GPU cards to TriFire with their single GPU counterparts (ie TriFire 6990+6970).

mjkmike says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Your PSU wouldn't be enough for a GTX 590 AND a GTX 580 anyway.

7. asayrix New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I am a unlucky guy in some weird ways.. like a cargo car crashed the plane while I am in the plane and the flight were delayed for 8 hours.. now the gpu I bought got a little crack on it lol , I wonder what next maybe I will be raped and killed by a polar bare in sahara desert

8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    ge ge ge..
    you looks pretty pessimistic
    so in the future you could put some assurance on that stuff :cool:

9. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can I get your GTX590 if the polar bear gets you?

(LOL, from a crack in a fan to getting sexually assaulted and murdered)

10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Anyway your 590 could handle any physx. Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

11. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Ebay off the 580 if you worried about the fan hunt down a 2nd hand cooler to sell with it.

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it: you buy a new MSI GTX 580, which turns out to be faulty and instead of providing you with warranty service, they fob you off with "it's damaged, there's no warranty"? This is illegal. Was it a reputable place you bought it from?

Also, as you have a 590, you indeed don't need the 580. Assuming your PSU is strong enough, it will do PhysX just fine (total overkill, of course, but hey, we're enthusiasts here :) ) but you have to ask yourself what are you running that will actually make use of PhysX? There isn't much out there that does.

Oh and welcome to TPU - where we won't rip you off. :toast: