1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Msi gtx 780 gaming increase power limited, does it matter?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gasolin, Aug 2, 2014.

1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I have oc'ed my Msi gtx 780 gaming to 1ghz (998mhz) on the core and memory to 1700mhz (1701mhz) which is close to it's limited according to the review from techpowerup http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_TF_Gaming/29.html.

Power limited is stock which is 100%, should i increase power limited,does it matter when the limited is only 103%? (max is 103% which just now surpriced me, when i tried to set it's limited, that it isn't higher)

Doing boarderlands 2 (2560x1080) with stock fan profile and all maxed out it got up to 79 degresse celsius wich is for me okay, it shouldn't throttle and if i increase power limited i want it still to be under 80 degresse doing games

when is the power limited of only 103% a problem for overclocking this card, as you can see in the link 1020 mhz on the core and 1765 mhz for the ram is the limited

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    You should only need to increase the power limit if during a gaming session you check the monitoring software and it shows the Power Percentage getting higher than what you have it set as, thus throttling the clock.

You can also set the temperature as priority so that power limit won't matter as much.

3. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    I raised mine from 106 to 120%, end result no donwclocking by boost clocks.

4. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    As MxPhenom 216 posted check with GPU-Z or MSI AB the power usage% while gaming and note the max it hit .

If it is below your slider amount your fine .
    It will downclock if it hits limit .
    Needing more power comes with higher clocks and voltages , also your game settings and res .
    I would recommend using MSI AB and setting the OSD to display power% ,clocks and GPU temps at very least .