1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III flashing

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by EvilAres, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NightShadow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did the same but found a way to restore it :) (I know I'm late on the topic, but someone might read this and find it useful)

1st, you will need a "dos bootable usb drive" (google it, it usually uses files from win98..)
    2nd, copy the files from msi to this usb drive (http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html) -- click "download the BIOS here"
    3rd, set the bios switch to 2 (backup that works)
    4th, boot computer from usb drive
    5th, change bios switch to 1 (the bricked one)
    6th, follow the two steps from MSI (cd\ati389, then, atiflash -p -f 0 r6950pex.bin)
    7th UNBRICKED :) restart computer

Sadly, this only means your card was lasercut and you can't unlock the shaders. On the other hand, in doing this you have successfully unlocked the max clocks, you can now boost it up to 1300MHz gpu and 1600 for the memory (though I don't really recommend it!)
    4th,

2. Slacker

Slacker

Thanks Received:
    Den Sorte Los, thank you very much for the script. it worked like a charm. I was very hesitant about unlocking my card because it was a gift of mine by my gf back in december. i wanted performance but dont want to buy a new card. I actually, accidently flashed my card. i was reading this post and the instructions and i clicked the flash to 6970 bat.file. then it said to press any button to quit, so i did then it just started to flash. i was freaking out because i dont want a bricked card and my gf would flip out. but it works! i got the 1536 shaders and the whole 6970 specs, except for the speeds. My card was made in sept. 2011 thanks again Den Sorte Los:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012