1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI R9 270X Gaming 2048 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Dec 17, 2013.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
  2. west7

west7

Thanks Received:
    great review great card
  3. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    My last card, with afterburner you can actually overvolt and get it up to around 1300 clock,

However, I changed to a GTX 760 and although more of a sidegrade as far as numbers go. Overall the gaming experience has improved a hell of a lot. Reason being? AMD drivers......with the R9 270x it would have weird issues with some games, random stutters in some lesser known titles. The original Assassins creed for example would dip below 60 alot. With the 760 its pegged above 80 at all times. Left 4 Dead would stutter at the start of the game and then settle down, with the 760, not one stutter in sight at all times. World Of Warcraft displayed tiny stutters when flying and in intensive shadowy areas, with the 760 it's all smooth as a fresh egg nog slipping down your throat.

As always, impressive numbers don't tell the big picture.

Overall the GTX 760 has impressed me 200% over the R9 270x purely because of game support and drivers. YMMV
    Fluffmeister says thanks.
  4. tomkaten

tomkaten

Thanks Received:
    I have this exact card, bought it for the low noise and performance and boy does it deliver... It's quieter than my old GTX 460 Windforce, which was almost dead silent. And about twice as fast.

I haven't encountered any performance issues yet. Ran perfectly both AC3 and AC4 Black Flag. Gave it a run in WoW, sure, it won't always run at 60 FPS on Ultra, but even when it dips to 50, it's still fluent.

Funny thing is I've switched from Nvidia exactly cause I was getting tired of their latest drivers. They're bloated and they introduced bugs that Nvidia hasn't been able to fix for 8 months (on Fermi cards).
  5. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, YMMV. For me it just didn't cut it with alot of titles but glad you are enjoying it.
  6. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I just noticed that this is a stripped down hawk PCB with a better cooler and no backplate so theoretically you should be able to flash the hawk's bios onto this without any issue and get the extra voltage controls that the hawk has without having the yellow highlights, worse cooler and higher price.
    I'm missed that they change voltage controllers so my idea won't work :banghead:
  7. JBVertexx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just bought this as part of a new ITX gaming build as a Christmas present for my boys. It just barely fits in a Silverstone SG05. I wanted the cool and quiet since that case has the GPU pretty much open to the exterior. Thanks for the review - it's been hard not putting this thing together in my office before Christmas, so we'll be looking forward to having this in action!
  8. athlon7750 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any idea why I'm getting different specs in GPU-Z than those posted on page 27 of the review?
    GPU-Z screenshot from review:
    [​IMG]

My GPU-Z screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2013
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why your default clock says 1080 MHz. The rest seems to be the same.

Did you modify your BIOS?
    athlon7750 says thanks.
  10. athlon7750 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No. Stock BIOS. Thank you for the quick reply.
  11. karnage New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

:p
  12. Darksword New Member

Thanks Received:
    LMAO. So true!
  13. Fron Auris

Thanks Received:

Same issue here..
    [​IMG]
    (currently in silent mode, though same ''default clock'' at any other modes with the MSI gaming app)