1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI teases new X99 board :)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by TheGoat Eater, Aug 4, 2014.

1. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I am mostly a gamer, but I also just shelled out 350 on a z97 board so it wouldn't hurt to invest in that in x99 instead. I also do Photoshop editing and movie conversions. But if I'm going to spend the same amount on z97 upgrade I might as well go x99

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...but you see, if you're doing video transcoding and image manipulation often and/or professionally, than skt2011 be it X79 or X99 would be a worth while upgrade because more cores means less time for something to complete and in the business world time is money. I'm not talking about occasionally using photoshop or transcoding stuff either, like if you dabble with it in your free time. The simple fact is that if you're mostly gaming, you should be spending more money on your GPUs, hands down. Don't go for an enthusiast platform because it won't perform any better in games.

EarthDog says thanks.
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    More money than sense is why. ;)

The fact that he paid $350 for a Z97 based board speaks to that considering a $160 board would have been fine as well. Im not trying to be an arse... just reading the writing on the wall. ;)

Aquinus says thanks.
  4. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I have a z87 as well...and I purchased that z97 to test how much of a difference it would be software/hardware wise compared to my current setup to see if it warrants such an increase. I technically hate paying more than $190 for a board. My ideal sweet spot would be $150 but we all see how the manufacturers are going in that segment.

5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

LoL. You must be broke. Otherwise this comment doesn't make any sense.

springs113 says thanks.
  6. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Whats up Dave, what's new on your review front...I have been here waiting especially being that I'm off from work (car accident recovery). Not seeing a review is driving me crazy.

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Ironically, Dave was recovering from an auto accident too, which may explain.

springs113 says thanks.
  8. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Yea I remember, and him spending more time with the family.

Sasqui says thanks.
  9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: To each his own. I actually want them to go all the way and black chrome the rear I/O!

springs113 says thanks.
  10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    LOL, hardly broke Dave... hardly. Buying $150 boards instead of $350 boards is part of the reason I am not broke... I choose not to live the American dream of debt and am a fiscally repsonsible person. I buy what I need in *most* cases. :nutkick: :peace:

Outside of LN2/DI (extreme benchmarking) there is little reason to buy a $350 Z97 based board when a $160 one (think Asrock Z97 Ex6) will take any chip anywhere and the board will not flinch. If he(anyone) does LN2/DI then I can see paying a premium for features that one would actually use. ;)

Maybe he does that stuff, I have no idea... If he does, THEN I am wrong in my assessment. ;)

11. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I chose to buy a $350 because I can afford to buy a $350 mobo. In fact just for that I'll buy you one too.

12. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I hate your decision too. I can haz?

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Meh, you don't even need to spend $160. There's many other decent boards for less, they just don't support the upper memory speeds...but it's not like most users will go voer 2400 MHz anyway.

There's need... and want. I have 3x 780 TI for gaming with, so I'm with you on this part, except I ain't buying nobody nothing!!! ROFL.

I have 4x Z97 reviews that can be done in an instant if wanted, but I have chosen to take the time and test each properly, and not rush. I also have some other reviews that are a priority right now, so maybe we see one Z97 next week, then some other stuff for a couple of weeks, then more Z97. I got 2xMSI Z97 boards to publish and 3x ASUS boards, and then I think Z97 reviews will be done for a bit. The accident did slow me down a fair bit unfortunately, the daily physio is certainly progressing well, but it's also leaving me pretty exhausted.

springs113 says thanks.
  14. springs113

Thanks Received:
    Get well soon, but on my part of buying him one I'm pretty sure you can feel my sarcasm. Dave by the time you get to finish anything, then comes the X99.

cadaveca says thanks.
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You're right. I did say I have other priorities....;)

Gotta go and buy a bigger cooler tonight. Just cooking supper right now, then will be testing later tonight, we'll have launch-day (RETAIL!!!) coverage for sure.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    erixx and springs113 say thanks.
  16. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I knew you was up to something, I am returning my Gigabyte z97 bk wifi and jumping to skt 2011, so I am (im)patiently waiting lol. My little one is here beating the crap out of me, so I just put my heating pad on his leg and he ran like the little punk he is.

cadaveca says thanks.
  17. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    you cooking that supper with the old cooler? :p

cadaveca says thanks.
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    ROFL. I guess these meds are good. LoL.

You take care as well. Heat helps the headaches I get, a lot. I had my shoulder repaired a couple of years ago, nearly, and the same shoulder took the brunt of the impact of the accident, but mostly because I had my hand on the dash and the airbag pushed my arm off. Considering our van is not repairable, I thank God for how fortunate my entire family is to have basically walked away with just minor injuries, and no truly broken bones. Rachel got the worst of it, and not she has some weird dizzy spells, so I'm putting all my effort into my recovery so that I can care for our 4 kids while she spends more time on her recovery. Our youngest... saw it coming... curled up in a ball... and barely got hurt, but his b-day is next Wednesday (he'll be 7), so he's old enough that he's got some emotional stuff to deal with from the accident that the other kids are old enough to overcome easily. I need at least another few weeks before I'm back @ 100%, but it's close, fortunately.

Bringing this thread back around to the original topic, I'm kind of eager to see what MSI has in store for this platform, since their Z97 products left me pretty darn impressed. Hopefully I'll be able to convince them to send me one of those streaming engine things, too, as that's something I could put to good use. I'm going to have to see if I can persuade W1zz to let me do some video reviews too, I think, and maybe we can get some live 24/7-type (ie, not LN2) OC sessions going via Twitch!!!

HammerON says thanks.
  19. springs113

Thanks Received:
    I know the feeling, but I wish you all the best...I've been in 3 serious accidents, one as pedestrian, the other wrote off my vehicle, and the last(recent) put me out of commission mentally for a while(not to mention my brand spanking new car). I am fortunate that I was able to survive em all so I am very thankful because I know that it could have definitely been worse.

Back to the thread though, I am curious as well because that all black board is what I am eyeing for my 750D build. I will also rework my 900D build but I will leave the less powerful components in there.
    Here's a glimpse of my 900D...I have since removed that res and reworked the tubing.
    [​IMG]

Here's my 750D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just threw in the Mpower to see how I'd like it but I really don't so back to the 900D it goes and hopefully a black skt2011 board will replace it.

cadaveca says thanks.
  20. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    I am as well, this round I'm torn between 3 motherboards on this platform. The asus rampage, the msi X99 gaming, and the MSI Xpower. I would buy the Big Bang on the spot (I'll be honest the features are awesome but the mini-gun Heatsink wins for me lol) but it does not look like that board exists on this platform.

I still am torn between the 3 boards, what do you think? Between them on the released specs (well that are known) I am torn.

cadaveca and springs113 say thanks.
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hard to say. I think BIOS is going ot be a big thing this time around, sine most of the platform is all new for this gen. Of course, I'll have more to say in the coming weeks, assuming the release date is correct. :p

22. MartinNixon0422

MartinNixon0422

Thanks Received:
    well, I will update my pc just because of that black pcb motherboard!!!

springs113 says thanks.
  23. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I look forward to your reviews Dave and am glad to hear you and your family are recovering well from the accident. I hope W1zzard lets you go with some video reviews. As tempted as I am to play with an X99 system, I am going to have to pass:(

cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. yaplol

yaplol New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh no.I need to save money to build a new pc right?