1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z87I Gaming AC running i7-4790k trouble

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by puma99dk|, Aug 22, 2014.

1. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    oki, i am running the newest bios for my MSI Z87I Gaming AC which is v1.4 and my problem is if i touch anything in the OC menu XMP or just change voltage just a little the board don't reboot after clicking on "save and reboot" it just stands there doing nuth until i hold the power button down til my computer turns off.

On the first run when i booted with my new cpu i changed XMP to profile 1 so my Mushkin Redline memory was running 2400mhz at 10-12-12-28 and i started up no problems, then i tried messing a little with volts to see what i could go down to but changed it back to auto bcs i don't have much more time to mess with it for awhile.

Link to my Mushkin blocks: http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/item/5-redline/810-992122

had a few Windows 8.1 start up hiks nuth major, but all suddenly now when i activate XMP and volts should go up to 1.65V it says at 1.504V and my system refuses to boot and i get this message:

All settings were reset to default values.
    The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to it's default settings.
    Press F1 to run setup.
    Press F2 to load fault values and run setup.

i know that's bcs OC failed but i can't seem to figure out why my board don't do the correct voltage for my memory on auto with XMP or manually with XMP enabled, is my board half dead or something o_O

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    hmm looks may have found out that it's the old 8-series chipset that's only about 99% compatible with everything when we talks Haswell Refresh :(

3. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    yep.... intel said they will reverse the statement about 4690K/4790K need a Z97 but you will always have a slight chance of something not going right ... (pretty much why i took a Maximus VII Ranger for my 4690K )
    afaik the Haswell Refresh has no problem with 8 series but the Devil's Canyon (K chips) yes.

let's hope a BIOS update will clear those inconveniences

4. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    well so far i got my MSI to accept XMP again so i hope it will stay this way.

GreiverBlade i also have problems with my Intel Pentium G3258, when every i touched the oc menu my board can't reboot, but shutdown and start works no problems what so ever.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    then manually change to 1.65v in xmp mode?

6. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    didn't help at the time TheHunter when i had this problem.

TheHunter says thanks.