1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI's 890FX-GD70

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Aleksander, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    yeah the prices are extreme with evga. normaly none would buy them if they dont have enough budget, or they know what we all are talking about. amd rig is cheap and very affordable to be build for anyone.
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I remember when they were Garbage
  3. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    True, I didn't think of that, however you COULD run 4 if you ran it on either a modified case, or just simply on a custom bench top case, so you can utilize the last PCIe slot :rockout:

True, but they make some fancy boards :p I dig their black+gray color scheme one.
    TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    if your not aware there are pcie riser cards so u can use all those slots so to be blunt your wrong all those slots can be used and probably will be as anyone whos gonna drop cash on that setup will undoubtably pay for the ribbon cable risers so they can install all there gpus and have space so they stay cool ive seen said riser cards sell on TPU in the B/S/T forums more then a few times
  5. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can find them on eBay too, or just google it, there's a few I've ran across. Hell I even stumbled across a PCI-X->PCIe x8 card :p Worst thing was yesterday, a friggen PCIe x1 LPT! :laugh:
  6. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    my point is the motherboards not usless id use the riser cards to create space and to better control heat

have fans angled from each direction in a custom setup so that the air moves through it and exhausts at the top and out the back granted it would need to be a hand made case but so worth it with the kind of cash spent on said setup u could run 6 GTX 285s for folding using a 24pin pass through ive seen a few times run dual psus and away you go imagine a 2 i7 980x 6cores 12 threads for a total of 12 cores or 24 threads with 6 GTXs that single rig in a custom case could fold and crunch like no ones buisness and im pretty sure with 3 way sli on a couple cards u could probably kick some serious ass in game benchs as it stands. So yea anyone with that many slots who wants to run that many cards will find a way and when its done and you see it in all its glory you wont care about the price you wont care about all the PCIe slots on the board all your gonna care about is wishing you had it :roll: cause i know i do

and face it we dont need it but as enthusiasts we all know we want it ;) MOOOAAARRR GPU POWER PLS
  7. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Having all slots as PCIe x16 is much better than having a mix of PCIe x1 or x4 or x8 with the x16. Who needs risers when you can get water cooling with single slot cooling :rockout: But ye the riser is a good idea.
  8. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    well true water cooling is nice but imagine the amount of space needed for the rads to handle 6 gtx 285s overclocked and a heavily overclocked thuban or i7 in those situation regular water kits wont handle it but again if u gonna drop in 6 gpus you probably can afford the water kit haha
  9. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since I'm a car guy, I bet a standard 90s era Honda Civic/Accord radiator (about the size of a full tower case, if that big) would work perfectly :) If I ever go water cooling, I'm just going to buy a damn heater core for a Suburban or something! Will cost either as much or CHEAPER then a purpose build PC water radiator! Some vehicles even use all copper units and still are only like $70 ;)
  10. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    The first watercooling systems on PC's used car radiators/heatercores. People still use them even today although fan mounting and painting is extra work.
  11. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    function over form is all i will say if it works thats what matters
  12. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't doubt that in the slightest, but a lot of people who grew up either in the more modern time of computers and water cooling or are new to computers/water cooling, might not know that. Then there are those who just simply don't know how to think outside the box :) Mounting a fan is also easy if anyone is wondering how you might go about it. They sell "electric cooling fan mounting kit" for anyone who is ditching their mechanical engine fan on an older car, are adding an addition fan or are adding a fan to an aftermarket cooler for like a transmission. They're painfully simple, as it's just a hard plastic 'stick' with bead notches all the way down, which goes through the fins to the other side of the radiator, and a washer with a soft rubber or foam pad slips over the beads semi-tight so it can't fall back off. Snip the excess and you're set. TADA!!

Another great alternative, for anyone interested, would be the radiator used on some water cooled bikes (dirt bike might be the cheaper option) or 3 or 4-wheelers.
  13. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Zip ties........... Problem solved.... ;)
  14. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yea I know, but for $10 (or maybe less at the local auto parts store) it is peace of mind knowing I'll be keeping the fins nice. Plus I'm pretty sure those are reusable. Reusing zip ties is a hassle unless you can find the nice ones with the little release on it :p