1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multi Core Management, is it possible?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Hey All,

So I got to wondering, is it possible, or is there a program, that can manage programs by assigning them to individual cores?

Take for instance, I am playing something like Counterstrike, but want my Winamp going at the same time. I want Cores 1 and 2 for CS, and Core 3 for Winamp, and the 4th for other processes.

I am not sure if something does this already, or a way to override it. Thank you for any information you can offer.

With Regards,
    -Andrew
  2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Right click the process and set affinity.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    winamp takes about 1% of my cpu power.. playing a divx movie as well as winamp takes 3%.. i dont think your gaming will notice.. he he he

trog
  4. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    If you don't know how to set the affinity, load up Task Manager, then under the Processes tab, right click the process you want to off load to a single core and select Set Affinity...
  5. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Atnevon, why waste your time? Counter Strike isn't exactly the most resource demanding game, heck it wasn't resource demanding when the game came out, it can play on the most crappiest systems so why are you concerned about 15% of your CPU being dedicated to a old game that can play on a junkyard of a system? If you was attempting to play Crysis I would be sympathetic. Press + Alt + Delete and set the affinity to the core you want it dedicated the process to, but in terms of performance the difference is practically abysmal. Just hold on until games are programmed specifically for multi-cores, until then your wasting your time.