• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multi GPU Question

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Do you think a graphics card with this cooler will be able to breathe well enough to be used in SLI or crossfire as the top card right next to reference GTX 460? I'm thinking of getting a GTX 460 768 from MSI to pair with my EVGA GTX 460. :)

MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 (Fer...

meow1990

System Name GRaZe
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS M489GTD USB3/PRO
Cooling CoolIT ECO A.L.C in Push-Pull Exhaust
Memory GSkill Ripjaws 2x2GB @ 1648MHz (9-9-9-24)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX460 @ 870/1740/2200 MHz
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7200 x 2
Case Antec 1200 Full Tower case
Power Supply Corsair 850TX 850W Single Rail
Depends on how far away your 3 PCI-E slots are.

If you are using your Gigabyte GA-EX58, I read a review on newegg, stating:
"Cons: The cards are to close together when running SLI or TRI SLI ,they are sandwhich together,so you need a case with a Fan blowing on the cards.but most motherboards have them this close."

So if you are trying to use your Antec 300 case, you will need to ensure that your PSU does not block the bottom most gfx card.

if it doesnt, its a plus, since the Power Supply fan will be very close to the bottom most card.

You also need to make sure you have a VERY good side fan for the case.

All things considered, tri-SLI might be a waste here since it would massively increase the temps of your case, thus potentially putting other components at risk. The GFX cards themselves might be fine since the 460 is very well made (I can vouch for the EVGA version myself).

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Only gonna use two cards

Depends on how far away your 3 PCI-E slots are.

If you are using your Gigabyte GA-EX58, I read a review on newegg, stating:
"Cons: The cards are to close together when running SLI or TRI SLI ,they are sandwhich together,so you need a case with a Fan blowing on the cards.but most motherboards have them this close."

So if you are trying to use your Antec 300 case, you will need to ensure that your PSU does not block the bottom most gfx card.

if it doesnt, its a plus, since the Power Supply fan will be very close to the bottom most card.

You also need to make sure you have a VERY good side fan for the case.

All things considered, tri-SLI might be a waste here since it would massively increase the temps of your case, thus potentially putting other components at risk. The GFX cards themselves might be fine since the 460 is very well made (I can vouch for the EVGA version myself).

Thanks. I think it may work but I hit a snag when I found out that the Gigabyte GAX58 Ds4 is not SLI certified. A hack has been worked out so I will see if that works so I never had plans for Tri SLI as it is impossible for the GTX 460s and not possible in an Antec 300 with dual slot cards anyway. I will be getting a second GTX 465 reference card soon to test the SLI hack on my other DS4 with a Galaxy GTX 465 and see what happens. I already moved my GTX 460 cards to other PCs and don't want to move them just yet but I may tommorrow test the hack on an AMD crossfire board where I don't care as much if the project fails. It is very time consuming to mess around with this stuff but having an experimental Phenom 9850 rig with dual GTX 460s in SLI in 16x and 4x mode could be interesting. It could be interesting to see how a $60 crossfire board handles Directx 11 goodness.(Jetway XBlue something or other) Thanks for responding to my question. For more reasons than one I wish I never got the DS4s but I've learned a lot since then and won't make that mistake again. I want my dual cards to have breathing room.