1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

multi monitor problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tater, May 28, 2007.

1. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey im sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. Anyways heres the problem

I have an MSI brand Radeon X300SE (its all in my system specs) video card. It has a vga and a dvi port. I havea convertor so i have 2 VGA ports. I have a 20.1" Sceptre LCD which i use as a primary monitor...And lately i decided i wanted to hook up this 17" emachine CRT i had just laying around. But my computer refuses to realise i have 2 monitors hooked up. I have switched there ports with each other. and windows just denies it the whole time. i used ATI Catalyst which came with the card but its no help. so wut could be the problem. Anyone have suggestions on a program that could help me with this delima.

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    X300 will not support more than 1 monitor.

3. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    really...wow thats lovely, doesnt matter ill be buying either an Nvidia 8800(640) or dual 7950's.. lol my motherboard has dual sli xpress 16 slots

4. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    retraction. I dont think thats correct.... I have 2 pc's in my house with X300's (i assume different brand cards)..but one of them runs duals just fine

5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes retraction, I need one of those also. You are correct, I was wrong. The x300 Can support 2 monitors. Did you check windows display properties; R-click the Windows Desktop, choose Properties, then in the Settings tab, select the secondary monitor, if you want, check "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor" that way you don't get the same thing on both displays.

If that doesn't do it then you might have the wrong drivers. The older ATI cards (9000 series) needed the "Hydrovision drivers" but that should be intregrated into CCC now.

6. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya i downloaded hydrovision and i updated drivers...the thing with windows i did first thing....but none of it worked

7. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need the latest Catalyst drivers.
    I have an X800 and when I installed the drivers on the CD it didnt support multi-monitors.
    Once I updated the drivers it then was fixed.

8. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    tried it. I downloaded the latest drivers and version of catalyst and that didnt fix it

9. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    is it always the same monitor that gets denied? or is it a certain vga connector that gets denied?

10. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    its the converted dvi port that doesnt seem to be recognized as having a monitor...(i tested the DVI connector on another x300 and its fine)...i can use the dvi port w/ a dvi to vga connector all by itself and its fine..

11. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    youve tried both monitors by themselves on this dvi to vga setup?

12. tater New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya each monitor has run on the dvi convertor alone. ive tried 3 different crt's and my primary lcd. none work. i have hooked the lcd up to another X300 in the house and it runs duals fine (with the same convertor being used on the pc which wont accept duals.)

Booted into knoppix live and it wouldnt do duals...but then again im not experienced enough with linux to do much

13. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    strange as it sounds, I've had monitors download 'drivers'...anyway

I would try hooking the CRT to primary and your spectre on secondary, go into control panel/system/harware/device manager/Monitors right click your monitors and update the drivers. That may help windows recognize when its plugged in?

just guessing I am...