1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

multimeter?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freeboy, Oct 18, 2007.

1. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ok, so I am clueless regardingthese guys, and I just looked at RS and the digital ones all stated on the packaging will reag up to 10 amps, that hardly seems high enough to test the gpu? Do I not want to see both the volts and the amps?
    Help thanks :eek:
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The problem with an in-line amp meter is that the unit has to be able to handle all of the wattage that goes along with it. I suspect anything above 100w is going to be quite expensive. They make "C" clamp ones that don't physically touch the wires, by measuring the inductance caused by the current, but I'm not sure if those work on a DC line. Wish I could be more help.

Edit: The "C" clamp ones only work for AC current.

Edit2: Wattage isn't the issue for an in-line DC amp meter, it is strictly current (the number of electrons moving through the conductor) - Think of a pair of jumper cables for your car, only 12v, but a huge current, hence huge cables.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what exactly are you planning on measuring? and for which application, what kind of accuracy do you require?
  4. jamupnorth

jamupnorth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i could possibly help as well as i use a meter on a daily basis !! ?
  5. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    u can allways mesure volts and resistance with it, to get current. heres the formula: I (current) = U(voltage) /(divided by) R(resistance)

thats how we do it in school because like the others said multimeters cant handle big current.

IF u want to change the outcome to P(power) the formula is P= U*I

hope this helps
  6. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ok, I am trying to test my ps to see that , if under load, I am getting the full volts and amps on my gpu cpu etc..
    OK re read the threads at ocforum and it seems all you tests is the volts.. Sorry for wastingtime here!

Why do we not need to now if the systems give us the needed amps? Afterall the Gpu's are Amp rated? still alittle clueless! thanks again.
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Problem there is measuring the resistance. For a solid state system, you can't simlpy hook up a multimeter and measure the resistance.
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That is probably the most important thing - steady voltage under various loads means more stability. Load is measured in Watts typically, where Watts = Volts X Amperage. When volts remain constant and load varies, that means that amperage varies directly with the load.
    freeboy says thanks.
  9. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    bingo thanks that is clear.. will look for a bargain ebay mm
  10. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u hook up ur meter in the 12V line (yellow and black) u can read resistance and volts going thru it and calculate the amperage. @sasqui we use closed circuitry u know:cool::cool::cool:
  11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    we dont measure amps when testing if a psu is good because the psu has no influence on the current draw of the gpu. so no matter which psu you use the current draw of a gpu is always the same. (only exception is if the psu cant handle the current then voltages will drop so far that the system crashes/psu shuts down).