1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiplayer gaming and visual settings debate

Discussion in 'Games' started by imperialreign, Feb 8, 2010.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

Simply because you can do something does not necessarily make it right . . . take this for example - a homeless guy, dirty, unshaven, wearing rags and worn out clothing, standing in front of a convenience store asking passers-by for spare change - you can tell the guys just down on his luck, has had a hard life, and is just trying to get by. You don't place blame or guilt on him for being there, hell, some might even cough up some money for him - but, you just let him be as he's simply trying to do the best he can with what little he has . . . . But, replace that homeless guy with a clean, shaven, suit-wearing businessman, sporting the Rolex, the Bluetooth, lounging on the hood of his Porsche while asking people for spare change - it's a different story. Most people might even take offense to him for it, he appears to be doing better than most others are, but is yet still looking for freebies and handouts. Although, botyh people are doing the same exact action, the homeless guy and his pan-handling is generally "accepted" by the public, whereas the richie guy's pan-handling isn't. Do you see the point?

Based on the last statement of your own (that you quoted), the topic has gone back to our earlier statements . . . in that, if you're reducing visual settings to ensure consistent performance, because your rig can not handle maxing out a game for online play, then there's really nothing wrong with lowering settings. Performance should always come before IQ when in regard to online play . . . one can't hope to have anywhere near a decent time if your rig is struggling along at 35FPS . . .

It's the fact that, yes, everyone has the game and can reduce their visuals - just like those who can't run the game adequately . . . but, lowering one's visuals for the sake of being able to gain an advantage no longer means that you're playing it as "just a game," but have instead decided that the game/action is serious enough that you must take steps to remain competitve . . . in that sense, you're taking the game more seriously than most players.

IMHO, the attitude you've been giving off here is the same exact kind of attitude seen by a lot of "n00bs" in most MP games - those that complain that others are using "hax," or are abusing "n00bish" weapons and/or tactics, or are whining that there are too many campers/snipers, etc. etc. but are quick to call out others and tell them to "deal with it" as soon as another user points out they're doing the same thing. The same that tend to be proficient in the whining department, deficient in the skills department, and aren't willing to just get into the action and simply play the game. It's the same attitude of "well, it's alright if I decide to use n00bish tactics or weapons, or decide to camp or snipe, and anyone that complains is just whining like a n00b."

drdaver, FreedomEclipse and digibucc say thanks.
  2. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Discussing it here isn't whining ... complaining about it in-game while playing as an excuse for getting your ass kicked would be whining. With that clarified, we should be able to resume discussing it here.

MadClown, you see no problem in tweaking visual settings to gain an advantage. We get it. Anything to add? Otherwise, I'd say your opinion has been made clear and we can move on. If you don't feel like continuing arguing, don't come back again and say "bye" and then get your last word in. :laugh: It's childish.

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Being on the receiving end of this unfair advantage many a time since I started online gaming back during Call of Duty 1 days & I have to agree that is very unsportsmanlike like.

I am fully backing imperials statement about taking the game too seriously to the point where one must physically degrade/downgrade his game till he see straight through shrubs, bushes etc etc to 'get in the game' or his 'zone'

I have always played most of my MP games at full eyecandy - not just because I can, but also because I'm a guy who loves a game for its visual qualities (if it has them) as well as the gameplay, be single player or multi.

like everyone else, regarding my K/D ratio - I have good days & bad days. but its also somewhat dependent on the game im playing as there are some games that I extremely dislike (such as MW2) but i play it because my friends do it too (for 2 rounds before I decide i've had enough & call it a day)

Ive got some skills (mainly through sniping & my primary use of stealth configurations) but I still have a very modest K/D ratio but i dont really mind because I play for fun (so long as no ones spawn camping me)

digibucc says thanks.
  4. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Yes you did. Problem is you came into a room full of "my point of view" moral paladins on their high horses of justice waving their swords of ethics...all the while using name calling and trying to belittle people that do not agree. It's like the Gamers Crusades in here. Next time you see a thread title like this realize that is going to be a bunch of people complaining that you do not play the game the same way for the same reasons they do. Therefore you must be burned at the stake. :laugh: :toast:

MadClown says thanks.
  5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    the problem was more that you were arguing about something entirely different.

changing settings to get better performance, higher framates, etc - is not wrong. no one said it was.

changing texture settings to be able to spot enemies in cover easier - even though your rig can handle the settings at high - is wrong.

that is, if it is indeed "just a game" as you guys say.

the thing is, by making those changes to improve your perceived skill, means it to you is much more serious than just a game. if it were just a game to you, you would not feel the need to gain an advantage at whatever "ethical" or "moral cost.

so when cops arrest and attorneys prosecute and judges sentence criminals who embezzled money, or flat out stole, or fixed a backdoor into software to funnel bank accounts, etc., they are just "moral paladins" waving their "high swords of justice" where do you guys draw the line on right and wrong then?

is it ok to rob an old lady at gunpoint?
    is it ok to snatch an old lady's purse and run?
    is it ok to make her think she one a million dollars, just send you a check of $5,000 to get started?

the analogy isn't great , but the point is where do you draw the line between taking a small advantage in a game and flat out cheating? the line has to be drawn somewhere, by someone. often it is drawn by wherever the majority sees fit. it seems the majority sees you cross that line. not to say you can't argue that, but in order to convince anyone anything different you would need to provide more of an argument than "it's just a game"

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    coljarcker says thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    its definitely cheating.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    Hear hear I also lower my setting in CoD4 and playing in league you need as much as possible to get the edge. If it's legal why complain when you all can do the same.

At least we have taken the time to set our game up to out liking. That 1 second can get you killed.

8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    if your playing competitively i.e. in a clan - then of course score is very important & if you really really have to win then fine. but the main complaint here is when someone uses the method in non competitive matches against regular/casual players. but obviously no-one wants to lose & it depends how seriously you take the game that you feel so butthurt when your team loses or your not in the top 3 players in non league/competitive play.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I believe I found video of either MadClown or ZenZimZaliben playing a game that doesn't allow tweaking the visual settings, here.

(just to lighten things up a little ;))

coljarcker and drdaver say thanks.
  10. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    i am competitive by nature and by extension competitive in all games i play. for me i do not have fun when i'm losing; i feel much better when i'm on the winning team, i play better, my interest, focus is kept on the game. i cannot understand when people say they play a game and still have fun even they're on the losing team. it just doesn't register in my brain, fair play to those players though. now, i've never lowered the graphical settings in any mulitplayer games i've played tog et a fair or unfair advantage. recently i had to use my ancient PC as my main rig was in the "shop". L4D2 had come out and i set about playing it on that old machine; it played surprisingly well, with all settings lowered. however i didn't get the edge that one would normally get when lowering settings. in fact i absolutely have to crank up everything to maximum because i think i won't get the fully visual experience otherwise.

11. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I actually prefer to be losing (but I won't "go easy" to make it happen) because when I'm losing:

1. I'm facing a real challenge, and a good challenge (the climb to the top, not the summit itself), is what I find most interesting in all of life.

2. Others are less likely to leave because they're getting smoked, so I'll have [friendlier, happier] people to play with.

3. I don't get accused of cheating [as much].

coljarcker and drdaver say thanks.
  12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I dont mind being on the losing side either - but It starts to become a real problem if the opposing team are spawn camping & that seems to happen to me a lot in TF2 when either team has all the experienced players stacked on their side.

13. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Saying it's cheating is ridiculous. All people have the option to change their settings/upgrade their system, whether or not they choose to invest what money into their system is their problem.

In the military, are the people with great eye sight or those already in good physical condition cheating because they are just more fortunate than you or decided to put more effort in than you? Maybe we should gouge their eyes out or tie them up and force them to eat potato chips for weeks until they puke, then ship them off to fight. If your system can't play the game, either don't bitch about someone else and continue playing, or just leave.

If you don't like advantages, shut down all but the community colleges, ban scholarships, flush out job opportunities, etc., and see what good that does. I personally like the idea that I could possibly make my experience a better one.

This post is aimed at no specific person. Just a rant.

MadClown and FreedomEclipse say thanks.
  14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Im struggling to understand your rant either your missing the point or you've moved on completely onto another topic - if people cant run the game at full settings then there is not much one can really do about it aside from run with lower settings - thats fine. but if you CAN run the game at full settings but you deliberately 'sabotage/fix' the game so you can see through thick bushes & shrubbery & headshot someone from a distance enough to make any marathon runner proud then its not very fair on the players who are playing honorably (???)

at the end of the day - you bought the game & its upto you how you want to play it. but other players may look down on you for it. if you care about your K/D ratio so much why not earn it properly instead of abusing a weakness in the system/game - surely it would feel more satisfying.

digibucc says thanks.
  15. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can run a game at decent levels and choose not to in order to gain an advantage.....it may not be cheating....but it speaks loads about the individual.....skills are not tuning settings.....if you have to tune settings to give the appearance of skills.....then your lame....period.

If you fall into the above category and take offense.....oh well.

digibucc says thanks.
  16. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    It should be noted that certain Graphical features cause noticeable input lag(same goes for a low framerate). I don't want it feeling like Killzone 2 when I play a PC fps.

17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    have you bothered to read any posts in this thread? you are arguing against a straw man! your analogy makes no sense at face value, and what I think you are trying to say doesn't even fit the situation!

try getting a firm grasp of the material before putting your thoughts out there, being uninformed when it is all right there in front of you doesn't look great on your part.

for the... fifth time maybe? just on my own part, trying to explain this:

we ARE NOT talking about those who CAN'T run the game at high settings. it is in NO WAY unfair for someone to lower their settings to get playable framerates. CONVERSELY, they have NO RIGHT to cry foul when someone with a rig CAN handle it , and DOES max their settings. your ENTIRE argument was about something we have not been discussing, and we have repeatedly tried to clarify that only to have another person like you jump in and attack something NO ONE EVER SAID!

AND, to equate a VIDEO GAME to soldiers fighting and dying for their country is not really in context imho. does it kinda show how important you guys consider video games ("just a game" huh?) (what i mean is, if my life were on the line in this exact situation, i would change the settings. war and games are a little different in my mind)

We are talking about unnatural advantages specifically. changing settings to remove cover, or make it easier to see enemies. to remove smoke and debris for clearer vision when those are MEANT to be part of the game. if your system can handle them, and you remove them to gain an advantage, you take it too seriously and are morally gray imho.

a proper analogy would be more akin to lying on your entrance exams, or having your parents put in a word to steal the scholarship from the poor kid who worked as hard as he could with what he had. if it weren't for your underhandedness he would have had a chance, but you decided for whatever reason you deserve to have an edge over everyone else, rather than getting what you deserve on your own merits. pitiful.