1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiplayer gaming with two monitors, need some help.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phusius, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    With my new monitor arriving in few days, I am left with an extra monitor, and I was trying to think of a use besides using it while building a computer.

So I decided on a multiplayer solution, one computer and two monitors, the only problem is that some games cannot launch multiple copies and most cannot be controlled at the same time, at least not normally.

Any solutions to those problems, programs and/or workarounds?
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    There was a guy who had like 10 or so WoW characters going at the same time. He raided on his own.

But honestly i dont see the point. Which games could you play like that properly? Which games are you planning on playing? You can watch movies or something when playing though, and it is wonderful if you're being productive (developing, designing etc).
    Phusius says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Virtual machine, but graphics card will be no-go.
    Phusius says thanks.
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think VMWare emulates a DX9 gpu pretty decently for low end games. You can use that, I seem to remember somewhere on here doing something like this with two monitors.

Edit: Here is the thread from the guy that had a setup similar to what you want. But the pictures don't work anymore. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123452
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, no MMO's for me.
    Frick says thanks.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ahh ok. Try a VM, it is from 2003, so it might work pretty good.
    Phusius says thanks.
  7. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    never done a VM but I will give it a shot, thanks
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You really should use that extra monitor for doing something else and not running a second instance of a game. I don't want to come off as insulting (even though it probably will) but having to do that is going too far and is in my personal opinion, kind of pathetic. Just enjoy the game, and for something like WoW, it's never bad to have a wiki up with the fight your going to do if you're raiding. I don't play WoW anymore because I don't have time time and I got sick of WoW, but I never ran two instances and I always used the second display to multi-task.

So, I apologize ahead of time if I'm being an ass, but don't go down that path. It's a bad path to go down.
  9. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you not even read what I wrote up above? I don't even play MMO's anymore... I want to do this in RTS games in offline mode like Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, to have fantasy battles, etc.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It has nothing to do with the type of game. Also to only play against yourself?
  11. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never play against other people, even in Starcraft 2 I still only play against the AI. I think it is more fun that way.

Online communities are to fast paced. I take my games slow and live out fantasies, like in Warcraft 3, building the largest Night Elf archer army, etc.

Being able to do this with the enemy and having both armies collide would be awesome to me.
  12. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Vidja games on the main screen and videos or something on the other screen.