1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiple Threads in the BST Forum

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by DonInKansas, Jan 27, 2010.

1. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    It seems to be getting ridiculous. People are starting three, four, and more FS threads running them back to back and it boots other people down the page, especially with the one bump / 24 hour limit. I know it's been brought up before, but I believe it should be one live FS thread and one WTB thread per person. Any thoughts?

Kei, digibucc, AthlonX2 and 1 other person say thanks.
  2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That seems reasonable. Let's see how others weigh in.

DonInKansas says thanks.
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I personally thought that one FS thread was a good idea until I actually started selling a lot of items.

One big issue is how we have to go about changing our FS thread titles. The mods are busy and can take some time to change a FS thread title, and if you decide to use a generic title (ie theonedub's Surplus Selloff- GPU, CPU, and more) no one bothers to check out the thread after the first couple times, maybe because they dont think its updated.

For the longest time I tired with different titles (which I am sure annoyed the Mods with my PM requests) but nothing really helped. So I decided to start multiple threads. In my own experience I was trying to move some 9800GTs for $60 (IIRC) a few months ago in my FS thread with a generic title, and during that time at least 3 or 4 other 9800GTs sold for more than what I was asking for. I know there were obviously other factors that contributed to that, but since moving to multiple threads a lot of my items have sold and at a much quicker pace.

Cliffs:
    Multiple threads make items easier to sell cause the titles are more specific and people visit them more often. Give users the ability to change their own title and watch the amount of FS threads dwindle. /RANT :eek:

DonInKansas says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no issues getting traffic;)

5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    One day I hope to be half the seller you are :roll:

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    It just happens, there is something to be said for title recognition too, then people know to look when they see it back in the listings.

7. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Other forums allow for OPs doing thread title changing in vbulletin; maybe this is something that could be implemented here as well? Keep the mods from doing unneccessary work and allow users to make adjustments as they need.

angelkiller says thanks.
  8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'll agree with this. I PM'ed both erocker and Paulieg about a thread cleanup and they were both ignored/disregarded/forgotten. It's the same concept. If you let users take control of the thread title it'd make life a lot easier for both parties.

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Im glad a couple people agree with me. I would prefer to have one thread I have complete control over.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Thread title editing would definitely be nice and probably help re. the OP.

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right I did ignore your request, then forgot about it. If you knew what I was doing at the time you would understand. :)

I have no issue with members changing their own thread titles. Either way I'll still be hovering over each to make sure the guidelines are followed. ;)

Also, in my opinion post count should to be higher before anyone can post in the B/S/T forum. To throw a number out there I'd say 100 posts and 2 months as a member minimum.

12. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    maybe we would be able to change our own FS threads, if we had certain rep or post count say 500 or something. Surely us guys with over 500 posts are the more established members and wont abuse this system.

Plus it can be hard for me at times to get hold of some mods due to time zones with me being in the UK.

I agree erocker, but people should still be able to post but not sell until 100 post count. I think the problem with judging it on post count is that you find that some people will just enter the case gallery and leave crap loads of comments and easy get to 100 posts, so there is still no real advantage i guess.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, posts don't count in sections such as that. Any "crap posts" that are posted in the rest of the forum where such posts are not allowed are dealt with.

14. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Maybe thats why my stuff hasn't moved yet. I like the idea of one thread for wtb and fs. but we do need the options to change our own thread title.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    All very good ideas. :toast: Every time Ive bugged erocker for a title change hes always been very fast to respond :rockout:. The mods here @ TPU stay very involved with their forums, which I very much prefer over other sites. Taking a little load of the mods by allowing the users to change thread titles I think is a good idea.

16. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Most forums have a post count limit and only 1 [FS] and [WTB] limit.
    I think that is the best way to go so you dont have to sift threw 100 threads looking for a couple items.
    Also give members that have over 500 post the ability to change there on titles would help us and the Mods out.

17. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think that thread limits, post count regulations and the ability to change titles is going to make much difference at all. The FS/FT portion of TPU has grown beyond what is easliy managable as a post based forum section. What needs to be done, IMO, is that it should all be moved to a separate, searchable database based on keyword indexes (e.g. Date, Item type, price range, etc).

That, however, is not a trivial task, but once implemented would need very little moderation oversite. Automated scripts could be run to clean the crap out of the database to keep it compact and of reasonable size, and it would end up being more up-to-date and accurate than what is currently in place.

In my experience as a DBA, the more I can cram into self maintaining database structures and out of the main app or UI, the happier I am.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Anyway it night work out a little better if at the top of the forums instead of just having "latest posts" and "latests news", that underneath (or wherever) we could have "latest FS/FT offering" and "Latest Hot deals".

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    angelkiller says thanks.
  18. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    at least make it so you cant bump 4 or 5 at once?

AthlonX2 says thanks.
  19. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I've consolidated my 2 computer parts threads, I will see how it does :D

sneekypeet says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    btw you missed the [ on your AMD listing;)

theonedub says thanks.
  21. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ugh. :banghead: We have lives.

I wouldn't mind if members had control of their own titles, unless the thread titles got out of control.

22. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Feeling that I may have been an itch that this discussion wanted to scratch, I merged all of my threads into one and shall keep it that way. I do agree here, there should only be 1-2 sale/trade threads per member and they should be able to change the title and tags whenever they want. It would also be nice if they could delete posts from their threads, but then you'd get people deleting their bumps and it'd be hard to catch those who bump more than they're supposed to be bumping.

theonedub says thanks.
  23. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I got the same feeling :roll: Its not as if people like Solvent and I like having to bump a ton of threads, we just want our stuff to move as quickly as possible :) Hopefully W1zz will give us the power to change our thread titles like we have all asked.

Soylent Joe says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Pfft. Erocker's got too many chicks to bang to be troubled by your trivial little complaints. :p

DonInKansas and Soylent Joe say thanks.
  25. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    And I'm very well aware of that which is why I didn't spam your (or e's) inbox with like 15 more requests.

So has this thread accomplished anything yet in terms of the mods deciding whether or not users are allowed to have control over their thread titles?