1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiplier questions

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by jeebuscrp, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jeebuscrp

jeebuscrp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hola.. Well I'm attempting my first over clock and have a few questions. BTW specs on the left are up to date. Anyways when I'm in CPUZ sometimes it shows a multiplier of 6 and other times at 9. In my bios I have it set to 9..is this normal to have it fluctuate in CPUZ?. Here are 2 pics showing the different multipliers + temps.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also.. based on what you see any recommendations to push this chip further? (I'd like to be able to run my 1066 memory in 1:1 with my CPU..do you think I can obtain that?)

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In you BIOS you have it set to downclock the speed when not doing anything important.
    Crap ... can't remember what it's called and can't jump into BIOS at the moment.

3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    speed step...EIST and C1E

jeebuscrp says thanks.
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks SP. Loading s/w and could not bail out.
    Memory not as good as it use to be ;)

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and using a 533 FSB is attainable but asking alot of both the CPU and the NB (thats what it takes to get to 1:1)

6. jeebuscrp

jeebuscrp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys...I swear I disabled C1E but I guess not...just changed that and now it sticks at 9.5! Now that I fixed that I guess I'll try pushing it a little more

7. jeebuscrp

jeebuscrp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well last night got the cpu to 3.8 and ran prime95 for 8 hours with no errors. heres my SS. Think I should go any further or is that a good place to stop?

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could go up to 4.2ghz with 467mhz fsb and drop the Multi to 9x. Your e8500 should be able to do this with around 1.28-1.35v depending on Revision, i can't see from your screenshot, it's a bit small. Might need to up the voltage to the Northbridge a bit though. 442x9.5 would end up at 4.2ghz as well, but with lower ram frequencies too.

If you were to set a 5:6 Divider you would end up with 1120mhz on the ram. 5-5-5-12 timings with 2.0-2.2v should do the trick. Or you could use 1:1 (933mhz) and tighen the timings to 4-4-4-10 or so. Best bet is to download everest and see which gives you best performance.

My advice would be to start at the higher voltages, 1.35v cpu and 2.2v for ram, and if that's stable, start lowering one voltage at a time, and testing again.

Use Memtest86+ for testing the RAM, this is a cd bootable app, so if your ram's not stable it will avoid data corruption when you boot into windows.

And Prime95 or Orthos to test the cpu, with the small FFT lengths.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
    jeebuscrp says thanks.
  9. jeebuscrp

jeebuscrp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help guys.

I haven't had time to do any overclocking in the past few days but I should be able to tonight. Anyways I was looking in my bios this morning and had a few questions

What's the difference between CPU Clock ratio and the multiplier? Clock ratio is set to 9 and multi is 9.5, which is the one that I should change?

My other question is about voltage - What is the nForce SPP voltage in the bios (Maybe NB?), and NF200 Voltage Level (maybe SB?)..I tried looking in my Manuel but couldn't get a definite answer.

I heard a lot of people were able to get the E8500 to 4.0ghz with a multi (or clock ratio?) of 8. Which is kinda my new goal.

10. jeebuscrp

jeebuscrp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got it stable at just over 4.0 so nvm the above questions! :rockout: