1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe PCIe Solid-State Drive Now Available

Discussion in 'News' started by Sin, Sep 13, 2013.

1. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    Why do you tempt me so with these drives I can't afford...

2. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Personally I don't like SATA3e. First, is not even here, it will be long before we will see mass released products, and second, is already ...outdated, I mean the maximum bandwidth will be less than 2GB/s, which is less than the current PCIe drive. See the irony?
    I'm not saying 2GB/s is not fast enough, but when you already have faster PCIe drives...well... :cool::ohwell:

3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Sata4e is 12gb/s.....

4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    PCIe 3.0 is ~8Gb/s per lane, you can easily see Sata 4e is not going to win any speed prizes. Maybe in time we will be able to see Sata 4e being a standard for mechanical drives, but for the purposes of SSDs, I think 4 lane PCIe is going to be the main focus here given the standardisation under NVMe.

5. kater New Member

Thanks Received:
    What you most probably have is a chocolate PCB with blue trims and heatsinks :laugh: why'd you think a black PCB expansion card would match your mobo? If you want actual black on black, then GB boards seem the best choice.

6. haswrong

Thanks Received:
    i dont rely on colour if the hardware is worth it.. but we should really solve the problem whether colour-matched hardware performs better ! :banghead::roll::toast:

7. boogerlad

Thanks Received:
    Why is everyone so excited about this? This is just another raid card with msata ssds onboard.

8. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    dude if your turd's are that colour you want to go see a doctor as that aint right :p

9. timmyisme22

Thanks Received:
    Quarter of the speed at the same capacity and I'd find it as a great gaming drive (intensive file reading in certain games tends to bog down slower drives). Mind you, also waiting for the price to come down. Oh god, I need a nice large drive for my games... not enough space at all!

10. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    SDD speed, just like CPU or GPU speed will NEVER be fast enough, and that's the truth.
    And I am not talking only about gaming. Who is working with Photoshop or very large 3D assemblies like the ones from CATIA, Solid Works, etc, know what I am talking about. I have a crappy assembly of a water pump and it takes 5 minutes to load fully and is even more annoying when saving because of CPU and SSD being to slow, hehe.

11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Won't help with boards that won't boot from a PCI-E device. If the motherboard won't boot from a PCI-E device it doesn't matter what Microsoft tried to do with the OS.

Never head of PCI-E x4? Why put one of these PCI-E SSDs in the system over a PCI-E x4 SATA3/4 controller that supports multiple SSDs? After all, that is all these PCI-E SSDs are, traditional SSDs and a PCI-E x4 RAID controller combined onto a single package.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Current motherboards do not boot off anything faster than SATA 6GB/s either, at least we know the software will be there ready for motherboard manufacturers to leverage the tech.

Wonder how the performance of RAIDing 4 SSDs together over 6Gbps would be like. The Toshiba SSDs are capable of over 500MB/s read and write, so 4 of them will theoretically be equal to this Mushkin PCIe SSD. The Mushkin costs $1276.50 off ramexperts, whereas the Toshiba THNSNH will be about $800 for 4x256Gb. Quite a bit cheaper if you can reach the performance of this Mushkin, but you will have to deal with the cable clutter.

Regardless of my questions they are developing SATA Express and have already developed mSATA so PCIe and SATA interfaces are heading towards collision course anyway. Not sure if we will be able to tell the difference in 5 years time.

13. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Good Sata III raid cards are insanely expensive so it would probably work out to the same overall price and that's ignoring the fact that they are server grade hardware and a such need good airflow to keep cool.

14. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Only time will tell, but I am on the other side of the tracks for sure. Nobody wants these things, especially at their current price and the fact that it takes at least a hair of knowhow to set it up properly. IMO, you will see 4e hit the scene before drives like this and the revo become common. SSD makers are not chomping at the bit to make these versus their 2.5" non raided standard ssd counterparts which are exponentially cheaper to make in the first place.

15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You need a good hardware RAID card for sure to get 2000MB/s speeds. However, Intel's onboard is capable of ~1300MB/s, which is nothing to be laughed at. And really, at the consumer level, the user isn't really going to even notice the difference between 1000MB/s and 2000MB/s.

But if you really wanted 2000MB/s you'd need something that is a true hardware RAID card as well as having some kind of onboard cache. You are probably looking at $200-250 minimum for the RAID card.

But in the end I don't see much need at all in the consumer space for PCI-E SSDs or 4-Way SATA RAID SSDs. The consumer space just doesn't need speeds that fast. And remember, this drive isn't even a consumer drive, it is an enterprise drive. The only real consumer PCI-E SSD that has been released has been OCZ's RevoDrive and ASUS's RAIDR thing.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    EarthDog says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. riffraffy

riffraffy

Thanks Received:
    Color does matter ...in fact it matters so much some people change the color of there skin ...are you listening Michael .

17. LeMonarque

Thanks Received:
    It's pretty simple, really. If you buy a case with a window, you accept that you will spend more or choose different parts so that when you USE the window, which means looking at it, because that's what windows are for, you see something visually pleasing to you personally.

And as long as hard earned money is involved, people can be as intense about what they buy as they want, and it means nothing more than an urge to get the most value out of the choices they make (ie, the territory that comes with a windowed PC case).

18. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:

:wtf:...... Michael cant hear anybody anymore.....