1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Must Read By Everyone!

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Ravenas, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    A very interesting article about HD-DVD & Microsoft, PS3 and more! *must read*

[​IMG]

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/

This is a VERY LONG article but I recommend everyone read it to fully understand what was really happening during the HDM war. Really interesting facts here about how Microsoft tried to extend it's aging OS monopoly to leverage the HD-DVD format.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry but this article is extremely biased Ravenas.
    This guy obviously wants to make Microsoft look like a horrible evil company when indeed it is not.
    CDdude55, Conti027, tiys and 1 other person say thanks.
  3. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    microsoft not evil? lol
  4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    the fall of microsoft..i tell ya! in a few years you'll be like "that crazy panchoman was actually right!"
  5. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with effmaster, sounds pretty biased against MS, but a very interesting article, nonetheless.
  6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    These are all facts, and a opinion presented by an author. Everything that he has mentioned is facts though, his opinion may be biased to you but I agree with him. :toast:
  7. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not everything he says is a fact. And not everything he says is an opinion. This is an article that is mixed up with opinions and facts.
  8. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    No the point of this article is to explain to people that MS is loosing the monopoly power they had in the 90s. They will still be a very profitable company, but will be sharing the market more so than they are now.
  9. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    He also calls the Zune an outright failure for gods sake!!!
    That is completely untrue in so many ways. it may not have the same sales as Apple does but that doesnt mean there arent Healthy sales for the Zune.
  10. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Compared to the iPod, it's success is minimal. Zune floated around for sometime with numbers that barely represented anything.
  11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Look I don't feel like arguing with, mainly because I was up late last night helping a dude with his hardware. All I'm doing is presenting a article that I found to be very interesting, not trying to start some MS flame war. Take the article as you will, you guys can talk freely, but I'm done with this thread for now. :toast:
  12. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    VHS vs. Betamax anyone?

Microsoft cannot be pushed to the wall for everything? I mean so many things had been either
    1. Introduced newly into the industry. 2. Standardised by MS. Looks like that's more so about Microsoft's 'evil plans' than the disc format war, at least towards the end, the readers attention is drawn to that.

That aside, may the better technology win. (Better = superior, popular )
  13. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    There are some interesting facts in the article, but it is spoiled by:

1./ Written by someone getting paid-per-word. The article is in serious need of professional editting
    2./ Is VERY one-sided about who is "good" and who is "evil" in the corporate world, therefore represents either bias or naiivity
    3./ Is completely misguided in some of its position statements: Miscrosoft a dying empire. Quite ridiculous. It may not be growing at the same rate... and it might not be able to take over the world... but it certainly is not a company that is failing

My Sherlock Holmes nose identifies a teenager-rant in the guise of an objective status review. Not worth clogging TPU space with IMO.
  14. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    It's actually an interesting read that is clearly not conducted by a teenager by any measure. The programs he uses to do his work are far to expensive by teenager standards. Secondly, this guy doesn't get paid by some company in the background. He does his own research, which from their rights his opinion. Wether you agree with it or not thats one thing, but I'd like to see you come up with a better conclusion with those facts infront of you. :toast:
  15. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    ravenas.. are you anti microsuck?
    effmaster says thanks.
  16. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    No, I have 3 MS PCs. However, I do realize how much power they (MS) have, and I think their power needs to stay in check. Which is what is now happening now, which is good relief from how the 90s went. :toast:
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  17. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I agree. all you bitchers and moaners get off Ravenas' back. There is obviously a lot of facts here and as I said in a previous thread, Michael Bay had accused Bill Gates (Check Maximum PC couples months back at the latest) and you will see they published , of furthering the war for his (MS) own gain. I dont think this is far fetched and quite frankly, who the hell cares if he is anti MS. Alot of you bitch and moan about MS on here. Grow up.
  18. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Theres only a few facts here WarEagle. And the fact of the matter is that this person wrote up Microsoft as something it is not.
  19. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    It's not quite as biased as you think, there is actually mostly fact in here. He has taken these facts and given an opinion on the matter, an informative and interesting one at that. Effmaster it takes a lot for you to believe in something that's going on right infront of you.
  20. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Sony sucks. And now that there is no competition to make them honest, and cheaper...... I love my PS2 though. Looks like torrents are the way to go now.

We all know that MS had their hand in the pie, but if they really wanted to push HD they could have, but letting another company burn through $$$$$$$$ while they sit back and wait and see who is coming out on top was a wise move. Now lets say they develop a Blu-ray compatible player to use with the 360 or its newer counterpart?

Now about the article, with shrinking sales the 360 is losing its power, or the majority of marketshare has the console already. But lets just ignore that factor and continue rambling on. Insert childish pictures here_______________________________

Mumble about the zune and that MS is losing its ability to sell consumer products by comparing it to the largest successful player while not mentioning other players or providing statistics to back anything up.

It does sound childishly written, if W1zz wrote a review and provided funny pictures of ATI or Nvidia top dogs instead of statistics and facts? Well not so good.

Fail. Try again.
    effmaster says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  21. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    well said steevo:slap::slap::slap:
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  22. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    What a rant...

You need to realize this isn't a review, this is an article on one man's opinion about what was actually happening during the life span of the latest media format war. You throwing out your own bias to an article is totally and completely false. Although, he didn't source his article in every section, you're more than welcome to google what he has complied and find the sources your self.

Another thing, you guys are throwing out all these comments about the author is biased and false, I don't see you guys sourcing any articles to prove it wrong. Quit moaning about what actually happened and actually try to learn something.
  23. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Y'know, I think HD-DVD would've held out a lot longer if MS had made it more publicly known that the external USB HD-DVD player for the X-Box was compatible with a PC running WIN XP or Vista. $200 was, and still is, hard to beat for a cheap HD capable player. Why MS didn't feel like making it that well known to the PC world, is a point to ponder . . .
    effmaster says thanks.
  24. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Maintaining two standards in an industry and Microsoft is like Brad Pitt marrying the best-looking gorilla in the African wild. They've always believed in monopoly and it's always been the law-stick that made them open up their standards. MS has nothing much to lose without HD-DVD in the industry. There already is a market being carved for Blu Ray internal drives with Lite On, ASUS, Sony, LG, etc bringing out their drives. If my memory isn't fuzzy, I've seen a 'hybrid drive' made by LG that runs both HD-DVD and BD, yes it's a drive I'm talking about, not the player.
  25. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Actually Effmaster and Steevo, there is quite a bit of facts in there. Im not condoning his trouncing of Zune, quite the contrary, the Zune is doing quite well, especially with the updated player. But the facts he presents are incontrovertable (throwing in a little Dumbledore from HP:OOTP). MS screwed the pooch on it. BDR is the future for now and really, thats cool with me.