1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My +12v rail is only 11.65 will this make my computer unstable

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Live OR Die, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    hi need help will this make my computer unstable and what would make it this low
    my +12v rail is only 11.65v and tried new PSU didn't help could it be my video card or my MB please help dont want to buy and new video card or MB is thats not the problem :banghead:

2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you've tried different psu's, its most likely the mobo (or voltage sensor on the mobo).

With the questions surrounding your motherboard, I would borrow a multi-meter and measure it for yourself

3. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    but why all the other voltage are all right but speed fan shows my -12v at 16.97v and the -5v at 8.78 man thats not right at all will this reck my ram and cpu hope not

4. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    SENSORS AREN'T RIGHT DO NOT USE THEM.

;)

5. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why have you made 2 threads for this?? Don't do it again please.

6. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    no i wanted a program to test it if it drops the other thread was to see if it will make my computer unstable :nutkick:

7. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    you CAN ask 2 questions in 1 thread ya know :):p

seriously dude, you need a multimeter. The only way you're going to be satisified (and remove all questions about accuracy) is with a multi-meter....its easier than you think :p

8. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    yer i no but this thread is from like 3 days ago the other one was today i couldn't chang the older one so i made a new one lol how do i use a multimeter?

9. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    The cheapest of them you have a red and a black wire plugged into a little square with like a speediometer style needle that reads voltage at the top. At the botom is a dial with a bunch of different settings (off, 3 settings @ VDC - 5,20,50, 3 @ VAC -, 3-6 settings for ohms, and sometimes current - amps), So its like a 6-10 position knob...You would turn it on, and set it to VDC - 20 (ALWAYS use HIGHER setting - measuring 12 set to 20 - NOT 5). Take the RED lead and put on the YELLOW wire. take the black and put it on the black wire....then read the gauge. Buy it at radio shack and ask the guy you buy it from for a quick tutorial, but its basically pull it out of the box, set to VDC-20 and measure the connector of choice...

LOL one big ranting paragraph...lemmie find a pic, mines at work...

10. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

V with a - and .. is VDC BTW

[​IMG]

11. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow mediocre you should teach a class on this stuff. I myself am very fluent with a DMM but this is some of the most helpful and straight forward help with pics I think I've seen yet.

Live or die should have no problems after reading this!

Mediocre says thanks.
  12. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    my has 24 pins and my atx12v has 6pin do you test the board or psu

13. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can usually get away with plugging the leads (red and black wires) into the back of the PSU's white plug while the board is running. As long as you dont have increadibly shaky hands...just leave the black lead in a black wire and move the red one around the connectors. Go slowly with a steady hand

You probably have multiple rails, so you'll want to check the 4/8 pin mobo, 20/24pin mobo, all the drives, motherboard, and GFX, yellow-12V, red - 5V, and IDE's, Also check orange-3.3 on the 20/24

14. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Google images baby :roll:

I have to do training at work occasionally and I HATE it :laugh: Its easier when you can type it in a big run-on paragraph

15. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    thanks but what you think it could be

16. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    :confused:

You underlying problem sounds like either bad sensor, or bad input voltage...most likely bad sensors - Thats IF you PC is running OK @ stock or a mild OC

You could test the input power with a multi-meter as well. You would set it to VAC or V with a ~ line

17. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    If you're not having any stability problems: your sensors are wrong, ignore them and enjoy your computer.

If you are having stability problems: See Mediocre's suggestion above.

18. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    it mostly not stable when i oc over 1460 @3.2 ghz but i brought this board for ocing that why im try to find out what goin on thanks guys

19. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Can't help you there then, I prefer to leave my CPU's at stock, and have never had to worry about stability (which is why I love A64's).

20. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Once you are in excess of stock speeds, nothing is guaranteed. If your PSU is the problem, you will see a rail fluctuation causing instability. This can be only verified via MULTIMETER.

If you are going to bypass that step entirely, or have concluded that your PSU is OK, you need to eliminate all other factors.. Memory, Chipset, and CPU, individually. This is simply done by raising the voltage, or lowering the clockspeed of a component and comparing new results to old results.

Trial and error.

Live OR Die says thanks.