1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My 8yr old says "Everyone has GTA"

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by DaMulta, Oct 26, 2010.

1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    It's just a game.....I know my son has seen worse on T/V / Movies....As long as he knows it's a game, and does not act out the stupid shit in the game. I have no problem with him playing it. Also "some"parents forget that kids don't understand adult jokes, and never do understand them unless you explain them to them. So in other words they have no fucking clue what those things are most of the time, and only enjoy the parts they understand.

I swear more stupid parents try to lock their kids up instead of letting them have a little fun.....

2. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    When i was 8, I remember we were playing Diablo and Quake over lan and those were far more violent than GTA imo. I think I didn't turn out that bad..

3. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    This is going off on a bit of a tangent, but....

I'm not a parent, but for what it's worth: your kids will eventually be exposed to the world whether you like it or not. I think it's better for them to be exposed to it under your roof and with you there to guide them through it, than under less controlled circumstances. The people I grew up with (I'm 24) who turned out to be the most messed up, are the ones who were the most sheltered as kids. The ones most able to handle themselves with discipline in the "real world" are those who were more exposed to the world and thus able to begin adapting to it earlier.

Video games have benefits and dangers for young, forming minds. It is a parent's job to make a judgment call in what exposure is ok and what is too much.

mikeh, danik, drdaver and 2 others say thanks.
  4. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Well I've got a 6 y old nephew that bragged that he spanked a girl on my pc while I wasn't at home. Figured out it was in the witcher. How did he manage that, I don't know! Fluke maybe? Cause you need to engage a convo with the whore anyways!

mikeh says thanks.
  5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Ah, that made me LOL.

6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I never had GTA when I was that young (it was out) as I wasn't that interested in it at the time but I did have cnc red alert and thought it was amazing (it was).

Playing that game hasn't damaged my development (afaik) and I'm not going around amassing massive armies and building gloriously complex military bases to destroy my enemies. Not yet anyway.... :cool:

I don't think games as dangerous as some lobbiest groups make violent games out to be. At the end of the day it is (and should be) up to the parents to decide what they feel is suitable for their kids (as all kids are different and will view/handle things differently).

7. morpha

morpha

Thanks Received:
    I am well aware that there are a few benefits to computer games. However parents dont give them to children for those purposes. They use them as a BABY SITTER.

Wikipedia is not a valid resource. Atleast thats what they told me when I did my Univeristy course (college for you yanks).

8. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    With all due respect, Wiki is good for some purposes. But as soon as you touch some sensitive subjects, aka religion, politics and other subjects where fanboyism mode may kick in, well you gotta be cautious in what you are reading. :laugh:

9. morpha

morpha

Thanks Received:
    The article is bias. Despite proper funded research into the negative side effects of computer/IT/video game abuse having been done, That article doesn't have a section on negative side effects. Only the positive.

10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    It's a recorded fact that when DOOM came out back in the 90s, violent crime dropped like a stone. While I admit that there is the odd occasion where these things do have negative effects (I remember a case where a group of teens murdered a guy they didn't like Reservior Dogs-style because they had just watched the movie and thought it was cool), pretty much all of these people have issues to begin with that are just exacerbated by the media they view.

I've been playing these games and watching these movies since I was a little kid, and I've turned out an order of magnitude better than almost everyone I knew.

11. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah don't worry, I got ya point! I haven't read the article tbh, but I just thought it would be somewhat harsh to dish & judge wiki on only an article. Truth is, it can be good, but can also be devastating for some people who easily fall prey to bias. :toast:

12. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    As I said over in GN, look at the maxed out violence meter! And yet I've never killed anyone...

[​IMG]

Did I ever love beating enemies with Excalibat!

DaMulta, Soylent Joe and Mussels say thanks.
  13. morpha

morpha

Thanks Received:
    I think fanboy mode is starting to kick ina little.

I have nothing against wikipedia. I use it all the time. But if someones going to argue that computer games are purely beneficial based on a wikipedia article then im going to argue against that.

I also grew up playing violent video games. And yes im fine. I never mentioned anywhere in this thread that people who play computer games grow up to be killers. I DID say is that it desensitizes kids. The intelligent responses were that parents need to make a decision about how much exposure is 'just right' for their child.

14. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I agree. But the problem with that is most parents these days just don't care. They let their kids do whatever they like; no rules, no limits, no repercussions. That is what needs to be rectified.

15. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    You gotta be kidding right? :laugh:

I didn't even read the article, so I'm not defending it nor condemning it. I only said it was harsh to judge wiki on only one article as stated earlier.

Anyways, let's just get over it, its already hard trying to communicate like this (it would be better to have a discussion face to face, since there are less misunderstandings) Don't worry though, fanboys exist, but I'm not one of them! :)

16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I was 8 years old, home computers and consoles did not exist.

I don't own GTA. I tried the original several years ago and found it rather tedious.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  17. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    your age group seems to like the Wii alot,maybe you should give it a try :roll:
    [​IMG]

not meant as an insult

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    We are old. We still think you have to work had to succeed.

19. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Was that a blast on tea party members? I hope not maybe I miss read that statement and any who if it was...??? I believe politics should be left out of this website.

It is early here so I might of miss read....

Anywho..... I am a parant and I am pretty liberal with what my kids watch and play for video games. I have a 12 year old and a 8 year old. I have let them see all the saw movies along with many more violent movies. I also let my 8 year old play L4D, Bioshock and other horror games. But she is also a very mature 8 year old who is able to tell the difference between fiction and Non-fiction.

But with all that said the only game they are not allowed to play as of right now is the GTA series! I don't believe it sheds certain sexs in a good light and I don't want them as young girls to be exposed to that in the way the game betrays it.
    I am quit sure that they would understand that it is not okay for them to run out side rap someone and then steal a car at gun point and then go off and sell drugs. But with so much of that going on in the real world anyway....why add to it. If I wanted them to see that I would just take them on a tour of the Northside/Southside (Ghetto's) of Milwaukee.

Not to say it is not a great game and that I don't play it.... I think they will play eventually too.... but not now and not this young!

The problem with the GTA games and young ones is that... GTA mimics real life too much.... were horror and things along that line don't.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Chevalr1c, morpha and TIGR say thanks.
  20. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I don't have GTA, your son is wrong.

and video games don't kill people, canceling shows kills people.

21. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I had to get testosterone shots just so I could pick up the Wii remote. :cry:

Lol ... no offense taken Altec.

As far as violent video games are concerned, I think if parents started acting like parents there would be no problems.

22. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Nice. My oldest is a better railshot than I was when I started - at twice her age!

[​IMG]

23. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Tea Party members ROFL....I'm very Liberal, and I let my Son play video games cause they are video games....

I played leisure suit Larry when I was a kid...not to say I was supposed too, but I did//////

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a Tea Party member and proud of it.

25. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Keep it on topic kids. This thread is about GTA, not politics.