1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My 8yr old says "Everyone has GTA"

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by DaMulta, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Oh, GTA? I've heard of that game before.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    As long as the child knows that it is a video game and not acceptable real life behavior, then I see no problem with kids playing any video game on the market.

Some children are mature enough at a young age to get this principle, some children are never mature enough to figure it out. It is up to the parent to decide. Saddly, too many parents don't care, and don't want to actually be parents. They would prefer that everyone else be responsible for their children. I've come to the realization that most parents, if they could, would be perfectly happy dropping their kid off at public school Monday morning, and not picking them up until Sunday morning for the day, and they would prefer the Sunday be option just incase they had better shit to do.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    1Kurgan1, Tokio and yogurt_21 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I only finished GTA3 (the first 3D one that arrived). Never finished any later GTA. Started playing and then just stopped because i was too bored. I guess i'm one of those who prefer Fallout 3 over any GTA.

4. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol... This is a straight up example of the problem with today's youth. Not only do they just play video games non stop, but instead of playing games with some depth and story, they play the most mindlessly violent games they can find. Shame on any parent who let's their kid (like elementary, maybe even jr high) play this crap.

5. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    when i was in year 4/5 (3rd/4th grade) i had played gta 1, gta 2, morrowind, porche unleashed and leisure suite larry. even so i didn't grow up to be a racist (morrowind), murdering (gta), speed freak (porche unleashed) of a womaniser (lesuire suite larry). so i don't get whats wrong with letting kids play certain video games. if anything gta was a good thing since it's what made me interested in computers (voodoo 3 oh the nostalgia.)

6. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know plenty of (young) kids playing GTA.

7. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough. I'm glad you had the mental capacity as a child to handle everything the way you should. For me though, it doesn't take away from my opinion which is that young kids shouldn't be exposed to games where you can f++k a hooker in a back alley, then beat her to death with a baseball bat and steal her money.... Come on - how is that healthy for an 8 year old?

8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    You're right, IRL you have to learn to hide the body, IE chop into little pieces and bury. These games are not descriptive enough.

Kidding aside, if the kid knows how outrageous that is in the game, he/she will never pull it in real life.

9. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    My mom got mad about him playing COD4 last year with the violence....I loled at her....

The only game I ever stopped him from playing was Oblivion Scrolls. This was only because of the crazy dreams it gave him, and he was only turning 7 at that point.

GTA is a must kids game....I mean come on you can do anything in it, and if your kid is good about NOT repeating what he sees or hears I see no problem with it. It's not like GTA is realistic in any case.....

10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    What's also interesting is that today's kids don't even know what really quality games are.
    I'm talking about games released in 90's and early/late 2000. That was the era of one of the most quality games ever released. Unreal, Half-Life, System Shock, Deus Ex, loads of adventure games like Broken Sword and even more racing games like Sreamer, early Need for Speeds and early Colin McRae's rally games, robotic games like Mechwarrior, Heavy Gear and Starsiege. And lets don't forget legendary strategy games from C&C franchise, Warzone 2100, early Age of Empires games etc etc. And the list can go on and on. Sure they can release similar games today all they want but they'll never reach the legendary status of those mentioned before.

I've made a computer for my cousin, nothing special, a 2,4GHz P4, 1GB RAM and a 40GB HDD with integrated Intel graphics. Most of games are a non violent versions from that very era. You have to teach today's kids to appreciate the craftsmanship (literally) involved in those games. Today's games are way to commercialized and made for the masses with very little detail and quality involved. There are bright exceptions like Dead Space but they are very few to count.
    So take some time and teach the kids that graphics aren't everything and that story and gameplay depth is also very important and very enjoyable.

11. mad1394

mad1394 New Member

Thanks Received:
    GTA rules! Played and loved them all!

edit: No one sane will ever kill people because of videogames or movies. If u go that far it means u were already screwed in the head.

12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    well this is all simple it's up to the parents. If you don't want your kids playing these games, don't let them. Don't expect game designers to take care of that for you, they didn't have your kids.

personally I've had my 18 month old on my lap while playing shooters, she loves hitting the buttons and watching the character move.

I don't let her do that on scary games and I'm not sure what type of games I'll let her play when she's 8, but I see nothing wrong with it as she has no clue what death is, much less killing. She just knows that she hits the keyboard and something happens.

DaMulta says thanks.
  13. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:

2 minutes ago
    Show details
    DONALDSON Ryan
    to me

This is not the first time I’ve disagreed with people on this issue. It seems more people choose to ignore the maturity ratings on games for some reason. They use your logic – which is fine, but I do strongly disagree. I’m not saying that children who play GTA are going to grownup to be murderous criminals, but I am saying that children who are exposed to violent video games without a time limit set by their parents MAY….

Tend to be more aggressive
    Are more prone to confrontation with their teachers
    May engage in fights with their peers
    See a decline in school achievements
    It all depends on the child, and how they are being raised by their parents. I know a lot of kids who play these types of games and don’t show any of the signs I’ve listed above, but I also know many who do – and it’s sad to see some of these kids becoming literally addicted to video games (violent or not) and the parents do nothing about it.

I guess my overall point is that I think parents should do their best to tune in with what their kids are watching, playing and doing, and know if their child is capable of handling it effectively. Use judgment and common sense.

14. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Ahh for get it it's not worth it :)

15. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:
    And I apologize for getting ^so OT. I just needed to vent a bit... I'm good now.

16. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    MAhh for get it's not worth it :)

17. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    IN no way should anyone be able to blame bad behavior on video games.

All total BS to be caused by video games. If anything the charts prove kids to be better playing violent video games......

more aggressive-Bad parenting
    Are more prone to confrontation with their teachers-Bad parenting
    May engage in fights with their peers-Bad parenting
    See a decline in school achievements-Bad parenting

jasper1605 says thanks.
  18. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Letting any child play GTA is poor parenting. There isn't a single aspect of those games a young mind should be encountering.

My kids won't be playing GTA.

casual swift says thanks.
  19. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I wrote a ten page research paper on the topic. The articles that "claim" kids are more aggressive use heart rate as a key determinant. My heart rate goes up when I run, am I chronically more aggressive because of that? Aggressive people are drawn to aggressive games, but just because you play an aggressive game you won't become aggressive. Shoot, I get more hostile when I play FIFA 11 and my AI passes it to the other team 5 feet in front of my goal than I ever did when playing GTAs

Loosely relating this to GTA to appease the powers that be of TPU. GTA is no excuse for people to kill (the south korean 17 y/o that killed a taxi driver to "reenact a GTA scene" comes to mind); no video game is. I just detest GTA and, more generally, Rockstar for their terrible game development and complete disregard to what makes a good video game.

20. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Ya really.

For all you parents who think you are 'cool,' raise your kids how you want..unfortunately for the rest of the sane world that is your prerogative. However if you want them to be geeky nerds with no social aspirations, then don't complain when on the first day of elementary school, my kid named Thor -complete with his shin guards, viking helmet, shield and plastic broadsword- will beat the crap out of your puny little small boned, scared of the sun, four eyes freak which you probably named Xander because you thought it was 'l33t' and between being a nerd yourself, you were hopelessly glued to the TV for lame tv series like Buffy.

What really makes me grin, is how the same people who are the first to jump in line and make proud grandeur claims about their children doing this and that, are also the same ones repeatedly defending themselves for three pages.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kreij View Post
    Keep it on topic kids. This thread is about GTA, not politics.

Uh no, it was about sociology/social politics, and GTA was one of the examples.
    If you're really that upset about it, then make a claim against the fact that it's yet another thread in the Games sub-forum, that has 98% NOTHING to do with any games we're collectively playing at this time, or is new and fresh to the gaming market. But I guess because it makes reference to GTA and was started by Multa, then of course, we can let it slide?

21. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I can agree with the first part. 30-40 minutes of P90 or P90X (workout routines) gets me going 'aggressively'. How I channel it however, is positive, not negative. While I feel like I could tear the limbs off a person, I do not. Will do a cool down run around the house a couple times, other things.

22. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    This is defiantly determined by the child's maturity level. Although, whats stopping them from visiting a friends house and their parents allow those types of video games. They are still exposed to such games. Parents need to be parents, and have a hold on their child's behavior.

I'm not saying lock them up and dont expose them to sunlight :rolleyes:

23. casual swift

casual swift New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do we agree because we are both canadian?;)

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    DaMulta most of the time I am at odds with your views. However you are spot on with this one. If anything video games were an escape for me when I was a kid. Without them I would be in jail without a doubt. Hell I should be in jail now but I never got caught :laugh:

25. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Not sure.. I know many irresponsible Canadians.

Personally I've just always found GTA to be lacking in substance aside from rampaging on civilians.