1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

my 99% finished M.A.M.E cabinet

Discussion in 'Games' started by fritoking, Jan 31, 2010.

1. plugugly

plugugly New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is a phenomenal home built unit. Super clean looking, can't wait to see it once you get the graphics on the side.

Those XGaming controllers are awesome no matter which model you get, I would spring for the trackball just to play Golden Tee.

By the way did you follow any DIY guide while building this machine, if not should publish one.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely fantastic job! If you could publish parts/materials/hooking it up/etc, that would be awesome. It turned out very very nice. :toast:

3. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the compliments! It has a few flaws, as i expected from a first time build. I used this site as a guide.. http://www.arcadecab.com/ ., but had to make some slight modifications. I am seriously thinking of building a second machine and making it a bit wider to utilize a 25 inch or so older tv . I will take a little more time on the second one, the kids were seriously impatient and i had promised them it would be done by a certain time ( birthday party).

4. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    it does have a few joystick versions of golden tee we play, but the trackball would be more authentic ...lol. when i get my second hard drive , i will toy around with Game EX front end ..i would like all the snap files and bezels and marquees to work.

5. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    the guide has all the materials you need... although i did not go w/ the cabinet grade plywood...it would have more than doubled the cost. Any older pc w/ a decent agp video card will play the majority of the games, as for the speakers..they are just 15$ altec lansing usb speaker from walmart ...i actually super glued them with a small dot of glue on the built int leg of the speaker to stop them from wiggling around....... the original plans he used velcro. the plans on the site i posted are good, but a bit confusing at times. heres my list of stuff i bought
    2x 4x8 x 3/4 pre-sanded plywood $43
    4x 2x2x8s $7
    2x 2x4x8 $4
    1 4x8x1/2 pre-sanded plywood $17
    monitor bezel glass(measure to fit) $10
    custom ordered marquee $16
    2x marquee glass (measure to fit) $7
    1 piece corner trim (the cheap stuff works fine if you sand before painting) $5.50
    box of screws $4
    small keyboard $10
    primer and paint $16
    controller $140
    total $280
    assuming you have the old pc ...and i got the xarcade used..... i have 250 total in it....

Kei says thanks.
  6. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    Well, the side art is just about done...thanks to my sis-in-law Kate ![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the finished side.....
    [​IMG]

7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Nice. Kate did a brilliant job

I can see your family loves CRTs! I count 3 in one picture.

8. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    thanks..but we only have one "regular" pc using a crt...the other 2 have lcds and i have some others i was given.

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Im not even into this stuff man but holy dog ballz, awesome job. I thought building computers would be hard but damn, you took that shit to the next level, great artwork too!

10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    That artwork on the side looks apsolutly brilliant compliments the rest of the unit nicely.

11. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    This is a fantastic piece of work you've all done! I have my mind set on doing something similar one day since the glory days of the Arcade seem to have passed on the east coast. I really really miss those days of no limit spending playing Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Metal Slug, Raiden Fighters, etc.

There really is no true substitute for the Arcade life...so I will have to build myself one for the house. I've been into MAME, CPS3, etc. for a long while now and I still of course use the only proper way to play. I just replaced the buttons on my Hori EX2 with Sanwa 30mm buttons to give me that feeling I miss so much and they feel brilliant. I'm going to buy another stick or two so that when anyone else wants to play we can always have enough sticks to do it. :)

Again, masterful work (that artwork really made me smile!)...and thanks a million for posting the list of things you used to get the job done. :toast:

Kei

12. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    thanks for all the kind words everyone.... i have really wanted to do this for a long time. it has actually turned out much better than i thought it would. i am possibly going to build some more for other family members so i will change a few things here and there, but truthfully it was not really that difficult. i have had way more trouble with the software than the actual building process......

13. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Truer words have never been spoken lol. :D :toast:

I spent hours last weekend trying to find a way to setup my arcade stick using various versions of MAME to play Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter....and then came trying to setup the online play so I could fight with a friend. We gave up on that part quick though, but I imagine had the setup of the arcade sticks not taken so long we would've worked out the online play as well lol.

Kei

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Kei says thanks.
  15. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Looks like DBZ except they can't blow up planets, never been a big fan of DBZ or that kind of movement.

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Well think about it Manipulation of Ki is super natural, and SF is fictional, but I only linked this for entertainment purposes. Watch SF II V. Also have you ever played Vs Series games? There is also several Animation styles at work in this video. TBH they need to stick with just 1 style.