1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My ASRock A780GXE/128M Motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ASRockIQ, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have two questions that just need answering. it's been going on in my head for sometime.

1. the BIOS there are three options UMA, Sideport, and UMA+Sideport. what are these options? i know UMA has something to do with Onboard Graphics i think.

[​IMG]

2. when i had my X1650 Pro installed i wanted to install the latest ATI Drivers v8.12and i was unable to. Drivers and the whole installation would fail. i was able to install the Allin1 Drivers though. is this because of the Chipset or the Onboard Graphics? could i have had something set wrong in the BIOS?

these are the two questions i need answered.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone?

3. proletariandan New Member

Thanks Received:
    does the board have 128mb dedicated graphics memory? i think that may be the difference, you can use it alone or system memory alone or both.

4. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, thew sideport memory was quite new to me. i think it is just extra Memory for Onboard Graphics.

regarding my other question though... how come i can't seem to install the latest ATI Drivers? hmm... maybe it's because i didn't Disable the Onboard in Hardware Manager and didn't have the settings set up currently in the BIOS. i'll have to look into this again later.

the thing is though the Allin1 Driver is somewhat required to have installed. the Driver comes with ATI Display Drivers but it's a modified Version for that Driver meaning if i try install the v8.12 it would fail. the ATI CCC would update but not the display drivers.

5. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    uma uses is when the onboard shares memory with the main memory (ram), sideport is when only uses the dedicated memory for the onboard and uma+sideport uses both for improved performance

ASRockIQ says thanks.
  6. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah, ok. but what about the issue with installing the v8.12 Drivers? any idea to why the Display Drivers wouldn't update?