• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Asus x1900xtx got destroyed by Ati tool

stingray12

Processor Intel Core 2 duo 6600
Motherboard Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe
Cooling Standard with a couple of extra fans
Memory 2 X 1Gig A DATA DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Gecube ATI X1900XTX
Display(s) HP 1740 (17")
Case Asus Vento (black)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec 500
Software Win xp Serice pack 2
ATI tooll and X1900XTX help

Hi there guys, please can someone help with this information ? I have the Gecube X1900XTX and have set the fan on the GPU to run at 100% , 100% of the time , so the fan is always on at full speed. Is this dangerous? Can it damage the card ?

Thanks guys. My speeds at idle are about 45 Deg. Celcious.

Craig

ARTOSOFT

Hi there guys, please can someone help with this information ? I have the Gecube X1900XTX and have set the fan on the GPU to run at 100% , 100% of the time , so the fan is always on at full speed. Is this dangerous? Can it damage the card ?

Thanks guys. My speeds at idle are about 45 Deg. Celcious.

Craig
IMHO, no damage to the card because its fan run 100% (but, if something happen to your card, don't blame me because I say that).

Regards,
Arto.

This is why I don't often visit forums like this.
You people pouncing all over the OP after he lost a $700 card...

From what I read, he seemed to do everything correctly, but everyone here is frothing out the mouth so bad that they seemed to ignore 1 thing muadidb mentioned, and what might have actually transpired AFTER this was set:

"the card died after setting STOCK 3d volts of 1.45v".

Now if this is indeed the case, then he was NOT truly overvolting the card, so anyone who assued him of overvolting it and then calling him stupid for doing so is acting like a freaking teenager. How is making a card run at stock 3d volts "overvolting?". I'm sure some may say that you are overclocking just by setting default 3d clocks in windows or something, but if these settings are the exact same ones that are normally set by the Ati hotkey profiler in -games-, then what exactly is the problem?

Now I don't use CCC, but another poster mentioned something about Atitray and CCC overdrive not working together. Is it possible that something like this may have happened and (ccc, hotkey profiler, whatever) somehow conflicted with setting the voltage to default 3d (1.45v), and/*OR* that, combined with the beta nature of the Atitray ver (i once had a beta that would blue screen windows if you ran it), so this caused the wrong voltage to be sent to the card?

Now if it's a genuine bug (Bios problem->ATitray, etc), then it was really not the OP's fault. But if a conflict with another utility (CCC, overdrive, hotkey profiler, etc) caused the bug (and conflicts are something that you can avoid), then yes it was his fault, although it is true that issues like this should be worked around by the tool authors.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
This is why I don't often visit forums like this.
You people pouncing all over the OP after he lost a $700 card...

From what I read, he seemed to do everything correctly, but everyone here is frothing out the mouth so bad that they seemed to ignore 1 thing muadidb mentioned, and what might have actually transpired AFTER this was set:

"the card died after setting STOCK 3d volts of 1.45v".

Now if this is indeed the case, then he was NOT truly overvolting the card, so anyone who assued him of overvolting it and then calling him stupid for doing so is acting like a freaking teenager. How is making a card run at stock 3d volts "overvolting?". I'm sure some may say that you are overclocking just by setting default 3d clocks in windows or something, but if these settings are the exact same ones that are normally set by the Ati hotkey profiler in -games-, then what exactly is the problem?

Now I don't use CCC, but another poster mentioned something about Atitray and CCC overdrive not working together. Is it possible that something like this may have happened and (ccc, hotkey profiler, whatever) somehow conflicted with setting the voltage to default 3d (1.45v), and/*OR* that, combined with the beta nature of the Atitray ver (i once had a beta that would blue screen windows if you ran it), so this caused the wrong voltage to be sent to the card?

Now if it's a genuine bug (Bios problem->ATitray, etc), then it was really not the OP's fault. But if a conflict with another utility (CCC, overdrive, hotkey profiler, etc) caused the bug (and conflicts are something that you can avoid), then yes it was his fault, although it is true that issues like this should be worked around by the tool authors.

this thread was already dead, don't start flaming again, he said that ati tool killed his card, wich is false, it is is fault, not anyone more, nor any program

Konky

Well you can't know who's fault that is.
So do not blame him, as he seems to blame the programmer of atitool, same level imho.

The only fact is that the card is dead after using it and atitool.
I have (as noted above) experienced major problems with an asus 1900xt card, it was dead after 1-2 weeks of normal usage. Memory did not go above 400mhz clock without artifacts.

Stingray: you post in the completely wrong thread, bad thread if you expect a good answer usually ..
But: Do NOT run the fan at 100% permanently, it can damage because of that.
It is at least way out of atis specification which specifies the fan to run very low at most of the time.
We can only guess that this is because of the loudness, but it can also be to save lifetime.

My suggestion is to keep the card at 60-73°C during 3d, and during 2d i undervolt it to stay at about 40°C with very low fan.

ARTOSOFT

So do not blame him, as he seems to blame the programmer of atitool, same level imho.

The only fact is that the card is dead after using it and atitool.
I have (as noted above) experienced major problems with an asus 1900xt card, it was dead after 1-2 weeks of normal usage. Memory did not go above 400mhz clock without artifacts.

Stingray: you post in the completely wrong thread, bad thread if you expect a good answer usually ..
But: Do NOT run the fan at 100% permanently, it can damage because of that.
It is at least way out of atis specification which specifies the fan to run very low at most of the time.
We can only guess that this is because of the loudness, but it can also be to save lifetime.

My suggestion is to keep the card at 60-73°C during 3d, and during 2d i undervolt it to stay at about 40°C with very low fan.
What do you know about electronic?

Running fan at 100% can caused VGA card permanently damage? If you know most of old cards (ie.: my old 9500pro) doesn't have fan control and it is connect directly to DC+12v, which is run at 100%.

Regards,
Arto.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910

He said his temperatures were in the high 90C range. THAT is what killed his card. Not atitool, not the overclocking, him incapable of overclocking is.

now, please let this thread die.

Ok, that's wrong.
I would let the thread die if you people STOP posting wrong information.
*These cards were **DESIGNED** to run over 80C. They shouldnt be getting up to 95C, although that is possible in a poorly ventilated case.

If you don't believe me, go ask Unwinder--and I KNOW you wouldn't go flame him, now would you? I talked with him about card temps 2 days ago on ICQ. You do know who Unwinder is, don't you?

The BIOS of thse cards have the fan running at about 25% until the card reaches 85C, then the fan kicks up to 100%. Don't blame the user for these high temps--blame ATI.
My X1950 XTX was *IDLING* Over 72C....(and that's at 2d clocks on the desktop). When I kicked the fan up to 100%, the temp dropped to under 50C.

95C shouldn't kill the card if the fan doesn't kick in to 100% at 85C...

Maybe the user did kill the card from user error; I already suggested the wrong voltage was somehow sent to it. I was merely backing up a different user in suggesting that it may have been caused by a conflict with another running program (the same way, for example, running Rivatuner's temp monitoring at the same time as Ati Tray Tools (not Ati tool)'s temp monitoring causes the card to report 86C idle @100% fan, when the real temp is about 50. (most other temp monitoring programs have agreed to use methods that allow accurate recording of temps with more than one program polling the sensors, Ati Tray tools does not do this).

If my "beating a dead horse" can help prevent any more dead cards, then it's worth it. And that's the point.