1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My coil whine is super loud on my 7950 at 1200 core but its 100% stable, worried...?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Phusius, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would I still get coil whine if I put this on it?

ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid VGA Cooler - Newegg.com

also, my temps are fine, never goes above 67 celsius, fans arent to loud on it either even at 100% but coil whine gets really loud and scares me at times.
  2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Glue the coils to the board with hotglue or return it. You may also try a few days of straight folding @ home with it.

Gluing your coils will invalidate your warranty, so try the folding at home first.

Coil whine is nothing to be concerned about, it is just the resonant frequency of the DC power draw from the GPU core causing the chokes/coils to resonate. Most new chokes are sealed and thus should only whine for a week or so of use, and or if there is a bit of gap between the board and the choke body.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Coil whine is not because of the heat. You sure it's not the PSU as well ?, maybe try turning v sync on.

Going back some time the problem was solve by wax which today is unacceptable due to heat as the wax would typically melt.

If turning vsync on don't solve it there might not be a way other than sending it in for RMA as most other ways would void the warranty.

Is it in 3D only and perfectly ok on 2D ( desktop ) ?
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always have Vsync on.

It doesn't coil whine on desktop or in light load games like call of duty, but heavy demand games like the new Tomb Raider or Battlefield 3, it whines really loud. Also, at 1125v 1000 core there is never any coil whine. but when i do 1175v 1200 core it shows up in more demanding games
  5. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Coil whine is usually more annoying than anything. But be mindful that it will cause slightly more wear than usual. It doesn't mean it will die any time soon, just sooner than anticipated life.
    I would RMA or get a new one if it's that annoying. Else, I wouldn't worry much about it as it is stable.
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    fan bearings making that noise as well.

coil whine shouldnt change with load. if its there, its there all the time.

seems like some dust particles entered the bearing of the fan.

try pushing the fan speed up manually to make sure of this.
  7. Shuttleluv New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very common, nothing to worry about usually. :)