1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Corsair HX-620 has just died, and might have taken other parts with it :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Melvis, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I have some bad news, and i hope its not going to get worse, my main rig< the Corsair HX-620 has just blown up :(

I have not even used it that much this past week, been with my parents and using my SLi rig for gaming on, but today we decided to have some Counter Strike : Source gaming, so i booted up my machine, installed Counter Strike and started playing, played for a good 2hrs then all of a sudden my computer turned off with out warning. I thought this a bit odd, so i went and checked if maybe a power cable came loose or something, everything seemed to be fine so i went to turn it back on and then it went BANG!!! sparks flow out the back and the system was dead.

I new the PSU was dead, but i wanted to test if it had damaged any of the other parts in the computer, i put in a spare brand new PSU i had took out the 4870X2 (420W PSU) and replaced it with a Geforce 6600, and booted it up, it would not post, fans was spinning but no post.

By now i was realy starting to get worried, i pulled out the RAM and tested it with just one stick, amazingly it posted, i was relieved that maybe it didn't kill anything else. BUT i then put the other stick of ram in and it would refuse to post, it would only post with one of the sticks of ram, and not the other (weird) I also noticed that the beep i get when i first turn the computer on has decreased in volume alot =/. I then proceeded to test the ram in my SLi rig to see if it had killed one of the sticks of ram, but they seem to be fine, both posted with out issues.

I can say for sure that the RAM is ok, the CPU seems ok, motherboard i have a feeling has been affected and might be damaged :( my biggest fear is to see if it has killed the 4870X2 that i have yet to test, if it has taken it with it im going to > :cry:

The PSU is under warranty so im going to send it back and get it replaced, but if it has taken other parts with it what can i do about getting these replaced? Im just praying it hasn't killed the GPU

I wil update this thread when i know more.
  2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I doubt Corsair will replace the destroyed parts. If an H50 exploded, that's a different story. It seems as if all that was damaged are the motherboard and possibly the GPU so you were lucky this time.

See guys, Corsair power supplies aren't invincible.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Shit man that sucks! I would call Corsair ASAP and explain this. I read of a H50 leaking one time and taking out the whole damn rig. When the guy called Corsair and sent them the H50 they replaced his whole rig and gave him an apology.
  4. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea im not sure ether, once i know for sure what has been affected i will ask them to see what they say. Dont say the GPU is dead ill be devastated :( i cant see that been very lucky? lol

Yep here i thought the Corsair PSU was amazing and that i would have it for many yrs, dam wasnt i wrong :ohwell:

O ok wow i might do that and see what they say, that would be good if they would replace it, but knowing my luck that wont happen =/
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you will be ok man. Corsair from my experience has good customer service. Also I wouldn't shy away from their PSUs yet. Everyone has a bad day.
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man i hope so, and true i wont be going away from Corsair PSU i think there awesome, thats why i was shocked to see it blow, and my system is stock as a rock. One thing concerns me is are they going to have a winge at me for running a 4870X2 with that PSU? i added it all up and new that it would handle it in my system and its been running in there for a good 6-8months without fault. Besides the CPU is holding it back so much the card would never have hit its full power load,
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I run a 750tx and I have all kinds of stuff OC. Maybe you should get a TX this time instead of an HX. I know the HX is said to be better built but SO MANY people on here run the 750TX that I cant help but think its better.
  8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea i agree i was thinking of getting a more powerful one when i asked to get this one replaced . It be interesting to see what they say what happened to the PSU and why.
  9. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick update, i have contacted the shop in where i bought it from to get it replaced under warranty, i also sent an email to Corsair explaining what has happened. They just sent me back an email saying to send them the PSU, as in to USA to get it RMA, but i can just get that done by the place where i bought it from in the first place??

I think im going to have to call them directly to see what they say about if the PSU has done any further damage to the rest of my system etc.

I will keep updating as i hear more.
  10. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    It's true, everyone has a bad day. And Corsair support is very good. My TX650w randomly died, fortunately not taking any parts with it, I replaced it with a new HX650w though. Their PSUs are great, I'm not gonna let 1 bad one put me off for good considering how many good reviews they've gotten.
  11. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea its just my bad day is going to be very expensive for me and i wont be able to afford new parts for some time =/ Same im not going to have a grudge with Corsair just over one PSU, i just hope they can help me out the best they can.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    If you take the PSU back to the shop Corsair will not replace anything. You have to send it to them (Corsair) so they themselves see what went wrong. I sure hope you didn't already take it back to the shop.
  13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea i figured that so i haven't sent back to the shop, i wont do that until i get the response from Corsair first in what they want me to do with the PSU. And yea so far they have just told me to post it back to them, but have said nothing about covering parts of my computer if there damaged.
  14. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    That sucks.

Sorry to hear about that bro ! I hope the HD4870X2 made it out okay.
  15. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, yea it sux big time, i also hope the card is ok and im hopping to test if the card is ok very soon, waiting for my m8 to turn up with his rig and with a higher powered PSU to test my card out on, god i hope its ok.
  16. GENTLEMEN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sucks. Hope the other parts made it out ok. RMA what you can.
  17. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea man it sucked big time, was shitting in my pants lol. I have just finished a test on the 4870X2 in my m8s comp and its GOOD news, it seems to be fine, installed drivers, ran three games with out an issue.

But the mobo i think still is damaged, i will do more tests on it later tomorrow to confirm it. Then i will call Corsair see what they say, i can do this ether way, i can send the PSU back to Corsair and they will send me a replacement and might even give me cash or replace my old mobo, OR i can send it back to the shop, get a new but updated PSU (like a 850HX) and just go o well to the mobo as its old anyway? All depends on what Corsair says.
  18. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Let me say we all know and love Corsair products, me included.

However, I have had a 520HX, 620HX and most recently a 750TX shhhh the bed on me. With that said, I ordered a Seasonic X750.

RMA the unit and you should be just fine. You may receive a 650/750HX in return.
  19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    That sux so much bro, BUILD A NEW COMPUTER BRO!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
  20. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    hopefully they replace the board as well :toast: sorry to here a super corsair took it out though...and just from personal experience i ran a 4870X2 and phenom 910@3.4ghz on an OCZ modxtreme PRO 500w so a corsair 620w shouldn't even break a sweat on your setup.
  21. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yikes, hope things work out man, that sucks.
  22. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Damn that's alot of PSU dead i must say, i have got myself a few Corsairs and have put them in other computers and they all have run with out fault so far, guess im just the unlucky one lol.

:laugh: Yes Yes i know :p, its time for me to upgrade, and i was planning that at the end of this yr around Xmas time, guess that has been pushed forward just a tad lol

Yea it be nice to be able to replace the board but its so old what would they replace it with?
    Ahh ok yea thanks man that gives me a good idea of how much the 620 can handle, and yea it should of handled my system with ease :ohwell:

:toast: Yea i hope so to, time will tell once i get onto Corsair, but at least the 4870X2 is ALIVE :rockout:
  23. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I would have a grudge against ANY manufacturer who sold me a part that, within the warranty period blew up and destroyed other components and didn't replace said components irrespective of what their reputation is/was, go talk to Toyota :)

I had an Antec 500W PSU that blew about 4 years ago, it took my motherboard with it, Antec replaced the motherboard (after some grief and 5 phonecalls/12 e mails)and we were all Happy (eventually), I am more than happy to sing the praises of Antec Europe's customer support, but I still have never bought another Antec unit.... "Once bitten twice shy".... but that's just me.
  24. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yea i would have to agree with you there Tatty, and that's why i was very shocked that the PSU died only 2yrs into its at least 5yr life expectancy. IF Corsair admit to this fault and will in turn replace or give me some sort of compensation for the maybe said dead mobo then i think i would be happy to continue to buy there PSU. But at the same time in the back of my mind im all > :mad: because this old rig had sentimental value as well and had plans for it even after it got retired from been my main gaming machine.

I guess now its going to come down to what can Corsair offer me? to make me continue to buy there products, and i have bought ALOT of corsair products over the yrs.
  25. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, to be fair, i had to send my knackered board at my own expense to them to proove it was destroyed by the PSU.