1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My cpu fan isnt working during window xp installation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Leebruce, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Leebruce New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am reinstalling window xp on my pc but i notice the fan on top of the cpu isnt working is that normal or NOT ..plz help

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    No its not normal,the fan should start spinning as soon as you power up your pc.

What type of cooler is on your cpu? thermaltake/arctic cooling etc

Is the fan plugged into the fan connector on the motherboard or oonto a molex?

3. Leebruce New Member

Thanks Received:
    im not sure the type of cooler but its the original one that came with the pc all the connector is connected . is this like a mother board problem or should i just replace the fan

4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Try replacing the fan first,as long as it has a working fan on it,it will be fine.It doe'nt have to be the original fan.

5. stordoff New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this for a Core 2?

My stock CPU fan didn't spin during times of low load either. Starts working when the CPU is stressed.

Keep an eye on temps.

6. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    Did the fan ever work or work at all on this machine, no matter what type of load?

Sometimes your BIOS might be configured by default to manage the fan speeds according to CPU temperature/load. Myself I had a media box PC configured in such a way and the fan would kick in only at the desktop level, and even then only at 40%-50%. It would take some pretty high temperatures to make it run at max RPMs.

7. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it an ASUS board perhaps? They have something called QFan that can adjust fan speed based on CPU temp. I had an Arctic Freezer 64 that would stop the fan completely when the computer was not too busy.

You should fill out your system specs and enable us to view them to keep us from guessing what you have.

8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if the ambient temps are cool and you have PWM control on your cooler and motherboard, then it will slow and sometimes stop the fan if the temperatures aren't high enough. Does it spin when you first turn the power on? If so, then you know that it's working. Also, please fill out the system specs in the User Control panel.