1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Crucial m4 120Gb SSD will be here tomorrow, need help, first time SSD user.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Phusius, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    After I install Win7 fresh on AHCI mode (I assume this automatically enables TRIM), do I just plug in my 1 terabyte and it automatically is recognized as storage drive or will it try to boot from my 1 terabyte drive as well since I also have windows 7 installed on it?

Also, how do I disable defragmentation and hibernation?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can just set which drive boots in your mobo's bios. I cant remember exactly where, but defrag and hibernate setting are in control panel. They shouldnt be too hard to find. :toast:

Phusius says thanks.
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Windows wil ltake care of everything. When you add the storage drive, it will recognize it, but it's best to not connect it until after OS installation.

You WILL need to set the SSD as the first boot device.

It is also possible to install Windows on the SSD from within your pre-exisiting Windows, which wil lgive you the option at boot of which OS you'd like to boot from.

Just simply turn off scheduled defrag, and hibernation can be disabled from within power profiles. No other changes at the OS-level are really nessecary.

Phusius says thanks.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would you need Windows 7 installed on the 1tb drive? The system will boot from whatever drive you set it to in the bios.

Phusius says thanks.
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    no no erocker I meant that I have win 7 already installed on the 1 tb drive i am using, since i am using this as a storage drive im assuming i dont have to reformat and can leave all my steam games/pics/videos on it.