1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Documents Files - Deleted?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dia01, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For some reason all the files apart from My Games/Crysis Wars have been somehow deleted without my doing. Strangely, I went to play Crysis Wars the other day and my profiles were gone, thinking nothing of it I proceded to reset them up. Also strangely, I did not install any games folders in My Documents, somehow the folders Games/Crysis Wars just appeared, when, I really don't know. I have install my OS on a seperate hard drive and My Documents as well as every other folder used as storage is linked to another seperate HDD. Tried a system restore, still no good, why? Has Crysis somehow deleted/corrupted this folder? confused:

2. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Just do a search for a file you know should be there on your whole harddisk. If it finds it elsewhere it's probably something that can be explained, if not we can make up something else.

3. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:

Already tried that prior to System Restore, nothing. Can not see any traces on disk, and link to mMy Documents is correct.

4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    How old was your system restore? It will wind the clock back on your registry. Your registry may be pointing to a different location for the games files than the actual physical locations.

Make sure you show hidden folders. Track down the games files in your registry and see where they point. Is it correct?

5. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had wound it back to late last year, hidden files are shown and registry is correct.

6. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    I have a PC where I have moved My Docs away from my C: to my E: so i can perhaps suggest a few things to check.

1. The documents and settings folder will still be present on your C: (although unused)
    2. My Documents on my E: is shown as E:\Data (do you have a similar directory)
    3. Is your missing data in this \Data folder if it exists?
    4. If you click the My Documents shortcut does it take you to the default C:\doc and settings\blah blah, or does it take you to the \Data folder?

Ive had a similar issue with an application resetting the My Docs path back to its orig location and in essence orphaning the My Docs on my E:

7. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the reply though my drive letter is actually F:\ and does not show a Data folder. When I click on the shortcut it takes me straight to my (administrators name)/Documents, so the link is correct. Not sure what happened.