1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My dog is funny

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by techbuzz, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

His name is Leeland.
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Kool dog there, reminds me of what mine used to look like when he was clean lol.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer labs, and retrievers, but that is a goofy dog.
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Schnauzer? Or mix?

We have a schnoodle (Schnauzer-Poodle mix) that looks just like that. She's nuts too.

Great picture.
  5. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is your dog edible?

j/k

I like dogs, they're good animals. I like all of em 'cept the pitbulls, and pugs...

Your dog looks like I'd pet him :)
  6. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with pits?
    I have one now. His name is Pali (short for Palidan). He is a little temperamental to non-family members, but he is so fat he couldn't chase you anyway.
    My last one, Flash (name fit, he was fast) loved kids and wanted nothing more than to play.

Pits are one of the best family dogs in existance. It's all in how you pick them and raise them.
    Many people think that a pit is a guard dog, but they make really crappy guard dogs.
    I used to own a Fila Brasiliero, THAT was a guard dog. He died, I miss him.

I have trained dogs for years in things like behavioural modification and such, so I would not recommend any guard dog for the uninitiated, but they have unmatched loyalty.

I think my pit wants to eat again.... lol
    3991vhtes says thanks.
  7. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always seen pits as the mean dogs...plus, around here, every once and a while, you'll hear of a pit attacking a dog/person...
  8. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Kreij I know what you mean about Pit's I got 2 Rocko and Darla there good dogs a bit hyper with my wife but they know not to do that to me :p but they do eat alot my back yard is full of landmines lol

I dont like lil dogs there mean lil fuckers most ive cam across thats dont know me want to bite me for no reason
  9. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Pits are a tenaceous dog, meaning they love to do everything to the max.
    This can be fighting or playing.

Many people saw this tenaciy as a good trait for a guard dog. The problem is that what makes a good guard dog is their ability to successfully determine the difference between a percieved and actual threat. German Shepherds, for instance, are excellent at this, pitbulls are not very good.

You have to train a pitbull to guard. That is the first problem.
    Most guard breeds have this as a natural part of their temperament.
    When you teach a pit to attack, it only knows attack, not when to stop. This is why the result of pitbull attacks are so severe. If a perp goes down, a good guard dog will release and guard. The pit will continue to destroy.

IT is poor breeding, poor handling and poor ownership that has earned the pitbull its bad reputation. Really sad, becuase they are fantastic dogs.

My advice is to go visit a GOOD pit breeder sometime and watch the dogs. They are not mean or out of control, and will most likely want to play with you.
    3991vhtes says thanks.
  10. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Kreij, now that I read that, my view/opinion has changed. One of these days, I'll have to get one (and have it trained). :)
  11. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    He is a pure bread schnauzer. He's my buddy.
  12. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Lol .. great post.

High levels of energy in a dog is a plus, not a drawback. It is your job as an owner to channel that energy into a productive force (playing or working). If you do not there is a chance the dog will get bored and get destructive in the house. Border Collie's are a prime example of this. They must release the energy somehow, so they will chew the crap out of your furniture or whatever if you don't give them a job.

It seems like little ankle biters are everywhere, but this too is a myth. People who own small dogs usually treat them like cats and leave them to their own devices. The problem is that a dog is a pack animal and there MUST be a pack leader. If the owner does not assume the alpha position in the pack, the dogs will do so even if it does not want to. This is inherent in their temperament. As alpha, the dog is responsible for protecting the pack, and if placed in that position can be very stressful on a dog that does not have the natural temperament to be the leader. Now you can see why these little "alpha" dogs are so nasty. If the owner took control of the situation you would see many little dogs just running around being happy as can be ... and not so aggressive.
  13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

+1 :respect:

I've grown up around dogs all my life and have never been afraid of anyone's pet - but it all comes down to how the owner raises them.

Although, some breeds are a bit different in those regards. German Shepherds, even though they can be big babies, can still be extremelly protecting of their owners from strangers. It's just their nature.

We used to have a Miniature Schnauzer when I was little, but that's years ago. Really intelligent animals - and ever curious about stuff, too.

Currently at our home, we have a pit/mix (not quite sure what she is mixed with, but you can defi see the pit in her). Absolute nutcase! We've never had a dog that is as talkative, hyperactive, entertaining as she is. She hoards all the toys in the house, doesn't like being told "no" (she back-talks, has to have the last word), and has some of the worst gas you'd ever have to deal with (she'll clear a room like it's nothing). We also have a bull/mastiff mix, and truly one of the dumbest animals I've ever known. Great dog and all, but just . . . dumb.

Mine is a husky/chow mix. Pompous, extremelly intelligent and stubborn like you wouldn't believe. He's been a handful since he was a pup.
  14. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Exaclty. There are rare cases of extreme animal behavour that is out of the ordinary, and uncontrollable, but this is easily remideed by putting the animal down. Many people anthropomophise their pets as "little furry humans". They are not, they are animals, and in all species there are bad ones. These cannot live or exist in human household and must be exterminated. Like I said, however, this is VERY rare.

This is how they should be. For instance, Mollosor breeds (anything with any mastiff in them) are naturally protective of their pack. If they are not, they are not a good representation of the breed. German Shephers are extremely intelligent as are Airdale Terriers. That is why they were both used very successfully in wars as multi-functinal resources.

Lol ... out Schnoole is a miniature schnauzer, miniature poodle mix. Do the math.
    She is precious. She has the protective instinct of the poodle (which many people are unaware of) and the high-strung, "chase everything" attitude of a Schnauzer.
    She constantly harrasses our Pit and our Great Dane, and doesn't think twice about it.

Is he dumb or just so laid back that he appears that way? Take him out and start training him in the basic obediance command. I'm willing to bet he is not a bad learner. It will be tough to get him motivated, but if you regularly work him he will look forward to the time with you and will become more responsive.

Youch. Two dogs that are so painfully independant it hurts. The upside is that the Chow is not a wanderer like the Husky, so hopefully the dog will not be like my Husky/Border Collie mix and feels that anything within a 1000 miles was home turf. :banghead:

Good luck my friend and if you ever need tips on training them, PM me.
  15. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Kreij on the pitbull thing, my uncle has one that looks really mane, and likes to bark alot, but he's one of the best trained dog's I've ever seen. He guards everybody knows, and it still really active even though he's at least 13 years old.

I personally have an Malamute, very smart, very big, and very stubborn. :p Likes to talk back too, he'll complain about everything with his half-howl, half-bark. Loves to wander too, one time he ran off while my dad was walking him in the park, looked for him for an hour and couldn't find him. An hour later he noticed him sitting on the porch waiting to get let in. Somehow managed to cross a busy street during rush hour too, in the middle of the city.
  16. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Malamutes are a beautiful dogs. But be aware that they are extremelty pack oriented. They cannot exist with out a hierarchy. You must be alpha or they WILL be. This can present severe problems in a household. I had a friend who's Mal objected to his authority and confronted him. In the ensueing battle he had to break one of the dogs legs to get it to back off. This is an extreme example, but a relevent one. Train the dog regularly, so that it knows it's place in the family!

Sorry, brain fart, the dog was a Samoied, not a Mal. Both being arctic type pack dogs though, one must be able to control them as they are big enough to be considered to have manstopping ability.
  17. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, he's just that dumb. Really laid back, kind hearted and good natured - but the dog can't backup, for example. Any tight squeeze that he's gotten himself into, he has to turn around. Sometimes, it's like watching a Semi-trailer make a U-turn on a residential road.
    I've tried training him, and he gets it . . . but has a hard time remembering - hard to describe, really. I'm sorry, also, I meant he's a dane/mastiff mix, not bull/mastiff.

TBH, my dog is probably the most laid back out of the bunch. He had a hellatious puppy stage (so bad that my parent's actually considered turning him back over to the SPCA - which is where we get all our pets from), but we were patient and held out. Now that he's mature, he spends most of his time chilling near me. Still follows me around like a lost dog when I'm home, and becomes really stubborn when I'm gone. Extrmelly intelligent, one of those few dogs that you swear he understands every word you say. I've trained him well, but that husky stubborness and intelligence . . . he usually won't do any "tricks" unless there's something in it for him :laugh:

But, he doesnt' have any of the bad traits of either breed, thankfully. He doesn't jump, bark, dig, mark his territory, nor is he anywhere near aggressive or territorial. But, in his mind, I'm the alpha, and he has a baaadddd habit of ignoring my parents when I'm not around, which becomes a headache for me because they complain.

Mal's, like huskies, though, once their position is accepted, are extremelly loyal, friendly, and tend to be very laid back. It's best, though, like huskies, to rear these pets from pups. Their puppy stage is absolutlely hellatious, and will be very trying on anyone's patience, but make for some of the best family pets once they grow out of it.

Samoyeds, though, tend to be hyper, aggressive and very "nippy" if you don't excersize them during the day to burn off all their excess energy.
  18. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pits and rots are great pets till they rip your kids arm of and you have to tell the same story we always hear.I dont understand,he was the best family dog ever....
  19. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu :banghead: :shadedshu

BTW, pcgolfer85, sorry to be stealin your thunder, man! How old is your dog?
  20. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Nonya, have you ever owned a pit or rot, or are you making a statement upon the diatribe you are fed by you local media as to the temperament of certain types of dogs?

Rotties are so mellow. They are not in the least bit threatening unless you you enter thier territory (as it should be). The next time you see a Rot in public give it a marshmallow and be amazed at how it tries to follow you around. If you are no threat, Rots are a kind and gentle breed. If you are a threat, well ... deal with the stitches.

Pits are excellent dogs. Make no mistake on that.
    What you are describing is the clueless family who buys any dog and has no clue how it will fit within the household. The key to a well behave dog is that it views someone in the family as the pack leader, and that person sets the rules. You must train the dog so that it is aware of to whom it must respond.

Dogs do not "turn" on you. People think that the happy dog that they have let rule the roost and then tried to assert thier dominance over (which they never did before) is somehow was a change in the dog's temperatment. It is not. The dog was in control and all of a sudden they decided to change the setting. Why wouldn't the dog object, especially since the person put the dog in a position of authority by their inaction or incompetence.

Each type of dog has its individual traits. These traits must be understood by an owner so that they can modify their training method accordingly.

A Pitbull does not wantonly "rip off arms". They are energetic and playful dog.
    Rotties do not kill out of hand, they are a breed that I think is rather soft in the current breeding lines you look at (soft = passive) and do not present a threat unless the owner is a asshat.

What really irritaes me is the rabid US medias obsession with demonizing the pitbull.
    It is all because the pit has been thought of as a tough dog and raised in inappropriate manner that instigates it to be omething it was never bred to be.

It is extremely rare that one can classify a dog as a "bad dog", but I can classify a large percentage of the owners of dogs as "bad owners".

Ok, sorry, I will get off my soapbox.
    It just really irritates me when people try to blame the shortcomings of a handler on the dog.
  21. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your dog has some white-ass teeth.
    techbuzz says thanks.
  22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I can attest to both points. My mother has a Border Collie named Buck. He is one of the most energetic dogs I've ever seen in my life. The problem with him is, he gets bored way too easily. He has more energy than us, so when we're worn out from playing, he is not. He wants to continue. (We're talking after a couple straight hours of play. Wrestling, frisbee, ball, swimming, etc.) This, unfortunately, has led to him becoming one of the most OCD dogs I have ever seen. He'll actually spend hours chasing the little dust particles you see floating around in sunlight. He'll also repeated pounce on the same spot of sunlight on the floor. This is only one of many examples of his tendencies. There are many more similar situations with him. I do have to say tho, he is one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever seen. He understands many more words and actions than most dogs I've seen. I really think we need to find something for him to herd. He was a poor choice of dog for my mother.

My father, on the other hand, has a Jack Russel Terrier named Layla. She's also hyper, and obsessed with the ball. lol. But he has 4 dogs, and his terrier mix named Baby, is the Alpha. Layla is the friendliest dog he has. She'll sooner lick you to death before even considering biting anyone.
  23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    How old is your dog, pcgolfer? About a year?
  24. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well he's already big and strong enough to easily kill a person, but he's too friendly and laid back to do that. He has small outbursts when he attacks his leash, but I stop that instantly with some strong words and wait for him to calm down. He's only aggressive to strangers on his territory and somebody taking his food. He's also developed some guard dog tendencies by himself too, he'll sit on the staircase at night to guard everybody sleeping on the 2nd floor and growl at anybody that come near. Won't let anybody through unless he recognizes you, then he'll come down, sit at the base and wait for you to go up, and return to the stairs.
  25. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    He just turned 1 year old back in January.

Your good.