1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My dog might die

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by SK-1, Apr 16, 2009.

1. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Well, Wilson (crazy dog in my avitar) my dog for 13 years, is having a bad problem and it has got me really down. For the last couple of weeks he has been unable to keep any thing down. Normal weight 150 now at 135. Even water makes him whine in pain. The vet seems to think he has developed a thing called,Megaesophagus. http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org/
    I have had 14 Malamutes in my lifetime and this is completely new to me. X-rays at the vet in 6 hrs. to find out for sure. Its 2 A.M and I cant even sleep due to worries.
    Wilson has cheated death on 4 or 5 occasions in his life due to a twisted stomach that damn near had him blown up like a blimp. 80mph. race THROUGH TOWN to the emergency vet on that one. He has also bloated a few times. His first vet (now retired lol) said he was like a cat with 9 lives. But ever since the bad stomach twist deal, he somehow knows we saved his life. I am 100% positive on this. His relationship with the family really bonded like I have never felt in any other animal. This is hard to put into words.

It sounds queer, but I have not felt this type of attachment to any other animal in my life, and I have a feeling in a short time, my best friend, will be going limp in my arms from a shot to end his pain. I am not sure how I am going do this.

Its been over 15 years since I have shed a tear in sadness (cried when my daughter was born but they were tears of joy), but I am now, like a baby at times.

I just needed to get this off my chest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sad to hear but sounds like you have a load of happy memory's too. At least you know you and the rest of the family did there best for him and i'm sure he knows this...

Happy thoughts right ? keep ya chin up :)..

SK-1 says thanks.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I love that avatar picture.

I hope the diagnosis isn't too bad. Putting a dog down is never fun.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Very sad to hear this. On July 4th of last year I lost Ryan, my 5 year old Rottweiler to heartworms. It was literally like losing a family member as I had never had a pet that I loved as much as I loved him. It's tough, I am getting misty just typing this.

If it does happen, my best advice is to get another pup as quickly as possible. Not as good as the original, but it help tremendously. Chin up and I hope he makes it through.

5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Hoping all the best for Wilson.

The bond between a dog and his owner can be stronger than that felt with other humans and it is a sad day when you have to say goodbye.
    But has been said, always look to the good times you have had together, and hope he pulls through this as well.

He sounds like a fighter and I hope he has the strength to beat this too.

6. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    Thats a very sad story indeed. I cried like a baby when I lost my first cat to kidney failure, she was very beautiful, gentle and cuddly.
    Now I've got a little ginger tabby, he's a rascal but I love him anyway. :)
    Best of luck, I hope Wilson pulls through mate.

7. jagass New Member

Thanks Received:
    We will pray for your dog...Looks like you love your dog too much...

8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Lost this big boy
    [​IMG]

And got this goofball the next day. It's the best possible thing. She is so much like him it's unreal. Not quite as smart (or sneaking for that matter), but all family.
    [​IMG]

9. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know how you feel.... as I too have lost my "best" friend after 13 years. Took him in 20days old and.... I miss him, so!:(

I wish he gets well!

10. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    29 of October 08 , i lost my Zoozoo , she was also about 13 years old .

I has very attached to it too , we were together 24/24 .
    She was incredibly smart , and she was riding with me, on my motorcycle , over the fuel tank.

I will not get a replacement dog , my wish are to be more bonded with humans , from now and on.

At list, they live longer .

11. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Sk-1 dog is badass, he loves valiums! I'm not lieing he talks for them LOL

I hope he pulls through. I have had a dog on it's death bed like that for 3 weeks and she pulled threw. Dogs are tougher than what we think!

I wish Wilson some good luck SK-1!

12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    my hopes and prayers are with you and your best friend SK-1. I have no idea how I'm gonna be able to handle it when I have to deal with my Nikita passing. Nikita is my 10 year old Pit/Boxer mix. We've had that bond your talking about ever since we met. She is the first dog that is truely MINE, and I think her about almost as if she's my daughter. She's definently my girl. Best dog I've ever met.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My prayers are with you.

Try to put his bowl somewhere not on the floor but higher... if possible feed him with your hands so that he stays with his head up high.

14. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    If you WILL replace him, consider getting the other dog now (so long as it is a pup, and you know he wont reject it in your home)... the pup will help him get through his last days... and allow him to transfer his spirit to the new dog... he will rest in peace.

15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I hope the best for your dog.

But I am also glad to read that you aren't the type of owner that would make him live on in agony if it were something that can't be treated. I know a few people like that, and I think it actually makes matters worse, not only for the animal, but for the owner as well.

16. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im really sorry to hear this and having a dog like this before myself i was starting to tear up from just reading your post. Im really sorry your going through this. I hope he comes through and you get to spend a little more time with him.

17. PsychoD

PsychoD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know how tough it is.

All the best mate. :)

18. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Man this is a sad thread. I just lost my 12yr old Pug last Sunday and our other little dog has to have ACL surgery $823.00. My best dog was I believed to have been poisoned by my neighbor. I cant prove that but anyway Jake was a large 120lb Australian Shepperd and he was like you said family. He raised kittens like they were his. Watched kids like they were his. Behaved like a person most of the time. His big but would take up 1/2 the bed. :D But I miss him now I'm sad. :cry: Thanks for ruining my day. J/K :laugh: He was a great dog and made me some good memories. :D

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I would tell your dog to do a barrel roll but judging by your avy hes already done one. :laugh:

Anyway man I know how you feel. I had a hound for 13 years. I "grew up" with him by my side. One day he got sick and we had to put him down. I didn't want to. My dad pulled me aside and asked me this. He said "Man up. Do you want him alive so he can suffer? Or do you want him alive for yourself?". That put in perspective for me. I hope his advice helps you too. If you love him please don't let him suffer because you can't do what needs to be done. Hes been to good a dog for that.

Plus chicks love puppies ;)
    [​IMG]

20. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I knwo what you feel man. For us natives dogs and wolves are like our cousins. We have same spirit same familly protection. Losing one of them is like losing a family member a part of our spirit cause we made a long way down the road with that family member.
    May his spirit live forever wherever he his.

21. daragez New Member

Thanks Received:
    hope the diagnosis not too bad. just pray for the dog. get well soon.,

22. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good luck dude. I miss my charpe/lab mix. He was a awesome dog till hunters got a hold of em......

23. vladmire New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's really hard to lose this kind of pet especially if you're attached with it. i have 3 dogs(different breed; japanese spitz, GSD, askal* ) and 1 cat as of the moment.

*askal = filipino term; ASong KALye or stray dog in english

24. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Update, it is Megaesophagus. I am lucky to have a vet that actually owned a dog with this condition. We have been experimenting with different food consistencies to see what will stay down. The trick is to make him as vertical as possible when he is eating so gravity just pulls the food into the stomach.
    Most dogs can use a special chair, but Wilson is just to big.
    Baily Chair.
    http://img.techpowerup.org/090421/Capture146.jpg

We are something like trying this.
    http://img.techpowerup.org/090421/Capture147.jpg

Water is still the hardest thing for him. I am finding a 15 min walk after any drinking seems to help.

I want to again thank all here for the kind words :). I was a total WRECK when I first posted.
    [​IMG]

25. radaja

radaja Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    sorry to hear about you best friend.i hope everything turns out ok.