1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Eheim pump has started making a racket?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Munkul, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi guys, not been here for a long time.

anyway, the past week my waterpump started giving my trouble- it makes nasty vibrating noises, that dont go away when the pump is not touching anything. last night i dismantled it out of the PC and cleaned it up, put it back in and the noise is twice as bad :banghead:

can anyone enlighten me as to what i can do to sort it? i know these pumps are supposed to last forever.
    BTW its the smallest model that Eheim do i think. i bought it as new (done no work) and have ran it on my PC for 1/2 to one year.

thanks in advance? :)
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    try a ddc12v pro pump insted,better flow rate than that too.

i dont think pumps do last forever,how long you been running it? and has your flow rate dropped since its been making the noise?.i dont know what sort of bearings they run on the impeller on them but could they be wearing out?
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    iirc, tigger, the impellers on these are mag driven.

However, that doesn't mean the motor itself isn't going bad.
  4. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm.
    well, the bearing that i can get at is like a foam thing that beds the impeller axle into the housing.
    the pump has only been used for less than a year as far as i know, cos it was in a kit built for athlon XP's, but nothing in the kit looked used

also, i closed the circuit by looping it back through the pump and reservoir, and it ran silent. as soon as i put it back onto full loop, the noise came back. the radiatior is less than 0.5m above the pump, and the pump is rated for 1.2m head.
    as for the flow rate, i have no idea.

is putting a dab of engine grease in the bearing a good idea?
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    So it only vibrates under a heavier load? Yeah, that sounds like a bearing problem.

As far as engine grease, it isn't a good idea if the bearing comes in contact with the coolant.
  6. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    sooo... any suggestions as to what i can do? can you make new ones? oh yeah, the bearing that i can get at is still tight on the shaft and the housing.
  7. frankenchrist

frankenchrist New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would just replace the pump if the rest is all good.
  8. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    update:
    i went over it with a clever person and we worked ot that it was the moter itself that was knackered. the motor is sealed so it cant be mended.

ah well:(