1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My ethernet adapter stopped working..... Help please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JC316, Jan 1, 2007.

1. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    This is on my Athlon XP 2200 machine. The ethernet has always worked on it, but two nights ago we had a bad lightning storm, now I am getting "A network cable is unplugged" message and I can't fix it.

I have tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling them....twice. I have changed the cables around for direct internet and then to the router and still no go. I know the internet cable is working because I have internet on this computer. Can anyone think of somehting else? I am desperate here.

Athlon XP 2200 T-bred.
    768MB of DDR400 ram
    DFI AD77 Infinity mobo
    Geforce FX 5900.

Oddly enough, this computer was fried too, rather my battery backup needed to be reset and everything removed and replaced in my mobo.

2. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Never did get it fixed. I just bought a linksys PCI card and fixed it that way.

3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt you could have fixed it, it happens to modems and NICs sometimes during storms, happened to my old dialup modem once. There isn't really anything you can do about it...

4. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Thats pretty slick, but all of my USB ports are being used. I figured that it just crapped out due to oversurge, the network card was only 15 bucks, so it's all good.

6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer doing the hardware properly... I consider things like USB network adaptors for people who don't know how to/ don't want to install a PCI card. I wish I could get hold of cheap PCI Bluetooth adaptor... :D

Other than that, I only use USB for my input devices like keyboard and joysticks or for my iPod/USB pen drive. Something about the hardware being inside my PC pleases me. :)